Finance Business Partner (Legal - Managed Litigation)
The main purpose of the role is to partner the legal department in reviewing and defending my client's managed litigation claims and keeping a financial analysis of all such claims.
The impact of this role is in managing and controlling these claims, maintaining up to date financial data and providing support to both Group Legal and Group Finance in the assessment of these claims.
My client is the UK's largest news publisher.
They are the home of award-winning content, campaigns and people. Their titles are trusted sources for news, entertainment and sport and they play a central role in the nation's everyday lives through newspapers, magazines, online and mobile, connecting 120+ brands with audiences both locally and nationally!
From the Board to every member of staff across the business, there is a pride in what they do and what they stand for.
In the ever changing media environment my client is always looking at new opportunities to improve their brands and get their message out.
As the landscape continues to evolve it is an exciting time to be a part of their team!
- Acts as trusted finance partner to the legal team
- Preparation of accurate records and up to date data in respect of our managed litigation claims, extract and review evidence relating to those claims
- Produce six monthly reviews of any required balance sheet provision in respect of this litigation
- Prepare and produce financial data in respect of the managed litigation for half year and year end accounts
- Main point of contact for our auditors, PWC in respect of the managed legal claims
- Supporting the Group Finance team at the half year and year end
- Produce summary statistics of the managed claims for all relevant committees
- Maintain records to enable the above and comply with robust audit requirements
- Liaise with external lawyers as necessary
- Support the Group General Counsel and Head of Complaints and Litigation in the management and mitigation of legal risk across the group
- Consider and implement continuous improvement in the execution and delivery of advice and in applying legal risk management techniques, processes and principles
- Uphold my client's policy around diversity and inclusion and work to ensure their values around non discrimination are upheld in everything they publish
My client requires someone with previous experience of Business Partnering who is collaborative, determined, imaginative and has a keen eye on customer focus, with an excellent understanding of finance and accounting. You must have a good understanding of finance systems, and how to navigate, extract and interpret information from them, alongside:
- ACA, ACCA or CIMA qualification essential and sufficient PQE experience
- Ability to analyse information thoroughly
- Commercial awareness
- Creative thinking
- Methodical approach to investigative processes
- Good understanding of Microsoft Excel, Word, Access, and SQL
- Advanced Excel (desirable)
- Experience of Sun Accounts and Lotus Notes (desirable)
- Be able to work unsupervised and a self-starter
- Have a good general knowledge of computerised accounting systems and be able to demonstrate an ability to identify how unfamiliar systems work and navigate around them with little or no training/documentation
- Be able to demonstrate the ability to think laterally and so identify facts that are
not obvious at an initial review
- Salary - £70,000-£75,000
- Pension scheme
- Flexible working
- Flexible benefit scheme