Financial Intelligence Vice President
The FIU Deputy Head manages a defined-infrastructure area and assists in leading day-to-day execution and broader planning of the department and its activities. The position draws upon experience and sound judgement to lead and manage the team, make decisions regarding the execution of transactions, and makes determinations regarding surveillance activities. The FIU Deputy Head is one of the primary contacts within CPAD for advisory purposes, and the other compliance function departments (Sanctions and KYC) for information-sharing purposes. Position is first point of escalation for complex transactions. The most complex issues are escalated to the next level of management, the FIU Director. Number of direct reports: up to 10. Number of indirect reports: up to 40.
- Assists with managing the department's compliance with all regulatory practices outlined by CPAD BSA/AML/OFAC including SARs, the adherence to Bank policies and procedures, and the timely and successful completion of all surveillance-related transactions.
- Assists with managing the performance, development, and ongoing training of all assigned FIU staff; and ensures the staff's understanding of compliance with all policies and procedures outlined by CPAD BSA/AML/OFAC regulations including SARs.
- Manages employee relations, workforce planning, performance management, and mentorship for all in scope members.
- Assist with the management of transaction monitoring software applications and processes; manages improvements to the processes and systems that are used in the processing of transaction monitoring.
- In the absence of or when instructed by the Director, provides review and approval of investigation recommendations and ensures timely filing of SARs.
- In the absence of or when instructed by the Director, ensures that alert and case investigations are completed in accordance with Bank's policy and current BSA/AML/OFAC regulations and maintains evidence and proper documentation and rationale for alerts and case investigations and escalates them to the BSA Officer when suspicious activity is identified.
- Reviews, monitors and prepares necessary reports of the department's daily activities.
- Oversees the communication process for sharing information with relationship managers, external entities, head office and other branches or subsidiaries.
- Maintains open communication with the FIU Director and other CPAD management for all matters relating to FIU.
- Ensures business continuity under all conditions, sometimes adverse, with strict adherence to established guidelines and deadlines.
- When requested, drafts communications and provides documentation as required in response to inquiries from internal and external auditors, bank departments, and regulators.
- Makes recommendations to the FIU Director, Deputy BSA/AML Compliance Officer and BSA/AML Compliance Officer regarding decisions to close accounts or block and return transactions.
- Partners with analytics and technology groups to fine-tune transaction monitoring scenarios in accordance with changes in the SMBC NY's risk profile.
- Expert-level understanding of legal aspects and recordkeeping requirements of banking regulations relating to money transfer (especially AML, BSA, OFAC, USA PATRIOT Act); market practices related to foreign and domestic money transfers; banking policies, statutory and compliance regulations.
- Working knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- Maintains high level of confidentiality; unquestionable character, integrity and professionalism.
- Strong understanding of criminal typologies in financial institutions.
- Strong sense of urgency and accountability; ability to execute in a high -pressure and time-sensitive environment.
- Strong reasoning ability; understand complex situations, people and systems needs against backdrop of an ever-changing regulatory environment.
- Strong leadership skills; ability to direct staff and workflows in accordance with bank standards and practices.
- Strong relationship-building skills to manage internal management relationships and Head Office.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Experience with SharePoint and Microsoft Office suite.
- Work Experience: 7 to 10 years of specialized experience in Financial Services Compliance, Payment System or Money Transfer. 5 years of management experience preferred.
- Education: BA / BS (or equivalent experience)
- Licenses / Certifications / Registrations: CAMS preferred
- Language Skills: Business fluency in the following language(s): English
- Software Systems / Programming Languages: SWIFT preferred.