I am currently recruiting for an excellent opportunity for a Financial Controller at Birmingham-based Mind Charity on a permanent basis. The opportunity will be all encompassing and perfect for a hands-on Financial Controller who enjoys covering a wide financial remit, and team management and development. This will be a new role to an expanding team due to recent growth.
Birmingham Mind is a provider of mental health services across Birmingham and the West Midlands and is recognised as both a Mindful Employer as well as achieving gold standard success in Investors in People.
The charity offers high quality services to support both recovery and wellbeing, and work with people so that they can be in control of their lives. With respect for the individual at the forefront of all the work they do, Birmingham Mind has a well-earned reputation for excelling in quality. This particular role will offer the opportunity to utilise your financial skill-set to help us achieve the company vision of "Better Mental health for All".
Key Duties of the Financial Controller
- Working with the Director of Finance to manage the finance department, undertaking all core areas of finance, ensuring accuracy and integrity of data
- Offer an effective Business Partnering service to non-financial stakeholders to explain financial data analysis and the wider impact on the organisation
- Provide technical support, training and development to the small finance team to help support and manage the complexities of Charity and Grant accounting and the increasing internal and external reporting requirements
- Adaptable to ever changing budgeting and forecasting processes in line with new schemes and revenue streams including supporting the annual budgeting process
- Take a technically focussed approach to the improvement and development of systems and processes
- Work with operational managers to produce budgets for new opportunities for new work ensuring that risks are clearly identified, and providing robust analysis for organisation improvement
- Produce the draft statements and paperwork needed for presentation to the auditors and work with the Director of Finance to ensure a smooth Year End process
Key Skills and Qualification of the Financial Controller
- ACA or ACCA qualified preferential
- At least 3 years' PQE with management experience
- Access Dimensions accounting system, Focalpoint or SelectPay would be an advantage
- Production and analysis of management accounts in a complex fund environment
- Business partnering with key non-financial stakeholders
- Management of payroll would be an advantage
- Experience managing and reporting restricted grant funds for deferred income
- Advanced user knowledge of IT and Systems, with systems development being advantageous
- Preferred sector experience: Charity, Not-For-Profit or any transferable organisation in which exposure to multiple grants and contract funding has been gained
Benefits include an attractive defined contribution pension scheme, Paycare which offers employees affordable cover for a range of healthcare treatments, an Employee Assistance Programme which includes free counselling and a comprehensive training programme.
Applications from all backgrounds are welcomed.