Internal Audit Manager
My Role Overview - what can I expect?
As Internal Audit Manager, you assist the Head of Internal Audit to deliver an annual programme of risk based internal audits.
You undertake a programme of more complex internal audits as required by the Head of Internal Audit. For each internal audit allocated to yourself you are responsible for all aspects of delivery including audit planning, scoping, fieldwork, reporting and communication of findings.
You also lead more junior members of the team and are responsible for performance management, on the job coaching and day to day oversight of their work.
Whilst undertaking audits, you interact and work alongside colleagues from across all business units, providing the Head of Internal Audit with regular updates of progress and you assist the more junior team members to maintain the internal audit action tracker.
You are expected to represent the internal audit function at various business groups and committees and to provide input as appropriate.
My Accountabilities - what will I be doing?
- To be responsible for the day to day oversight of more junior internal audit team members.
- To review the work of more junior team members from a quality perspective and to provide constructive challenge as appropriate.
- To provide ongoing coaching and mentoring to more junior team members and to facilitate knowledge transfer.
- To attend various business groups and committees.
- To respond and adapt to feedback received in relation to the internal audit service.
- To build and maintain good relationships with key stakeholders across the group in order to understand issues and facilitate audit planning and execution.
- To discuss observations and recommendations arising from audits with management at all levels.
- To contribute to the completion of Target's risk based annual audit schedule in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- To prepare audit scopes to ensure appropriate and efficient coverage of the subject area.
- To identify business process risks.
- To ensure all audit assignments are carried out in line with the Group internal audit policy and methodology.
- To develop testing methodologies to evaluate the adequacy of controls.
- To develop recommendations to improve standards of control based on audit findings and provision of feedback to senior management.
- To draft detailed internal audit reports.
- To monitor internal audit team progress against the internal audit plan and provision of both oral and written progress updates on a monthly basis.
- To liaise with other assurance and control departments (1st and 2nd line), client and external auditors.
- To deliver continuous improvement by proposing ideas to improve the quality and effectiveness of internal audit processes.
The team sits within the Finance department and reports to the Finance Director for administrative purposes, and to the Chair of the Audit Committee for functional purposes.The team provides internal audit services to every business unit within the organisation. You have the opportunity to meet and interact with a large range of colleagues from across the business and work with a team of external professional internal auditors as part of Target's "co-source" internal audit arrangement
Skills & Personal Qualities
You're someone who is:
An enthusiastic and supportive team member with the ability to delegate, motivate and lead staff effectively.
A clear, confident and concise communicator to stakeholders at all levels of the business
Analytical, methodical and risk-aware
Inquisitive and wants to understand the root cause of an issue
Teachable and identifies training needs in themselves and others
Experience & Qualifications
You're someone who has:
Been educated to degree level
Relevant audit qualifications (desirable)
Internal Audit experience, with proven and extensive experience of auditing in a complex business environment.
Experience of delivering Internal Audits in a regulated financial services environment (desirable)
The capability to lead audits, perform independent reviews, and assume responsibility for own actions and performance.
The ability to complete delegated tasks and audits to specified timescales whilst maintaining a high standard of quality in line with professional and departmental standards.
Excellent report writing skills and is able to convey findings and recommendations through concise and clear reports.
A proven record of managing multiple audit projects, and prioritising work in an effective manner.
You'll receive regular support and feedback in 121's and where appropriate thanked for a job well done through our 'My Recognition' portal; our way of celebrating success stories.
We are passionate about creating a fun culture, innovating and implementing best practice, we care about your wellbeing & you will have opportunities to grow your career with us.