American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE)
Department: National Secretary-Treasurer
Location: National Office
FSLA Classification: Exempt
Position Title: Field Accountant/Trainer
I. INTRODUCTION ANS POSITION SUMMARY:
The position is in the Office of the National Secretary-Treasurer in the National Headquarters of the American Federation of Government Employees.
The incumbent is a member of the professional staff and is responsible for independently performing financial and/or compliance audits of AFGE Locals and Councils. Additionally, the incumbent provides trainings on financial and related matters to AFGE National Officers, staff, local and council officers and members. In this capacity, the incumbent reports directly to the Special Assistant to the National Secretary-Treasurer or designee. The incumbent may spend a significant amount of time in a travel status.
II. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
A. Conducts audits of Local and Council financial records as requested by the National Secretary-Treasurer. Such audits may be conducted in the headquarters based on records provided by the organization being audited. Alternatively, the audit may be conducted in the field at the site of the organization being audited.
In accordance with the guidelines set forth in the AFGE Local/Council audit and compliance program:
- Audits accounting records to determine the financial status of the Local/Council procedures.
- Examines data regarding assets, fund balance, liabilities, dues structure, revenue, and expenditures.
- Counts cash on hand, review accounts receivables and payables, and cancelled checks.
- Verifies journal and ledger entries of cash and check payments, purchases, expenses, and trial balances by examining and authenticating inventory items.
- Prepares reports for management concerning scope of audit, financial conditions found, and source and application of funds.
- Makes recommendations regarding improving operations of the Local/Council.
- May supervise and coordinate activities of auditors specializing in specific operations of Locals/Councils undergoing audit.
- Recommends policies and practices to prevent and detect fraud, abuse, and improve internal controls.
- Reviews DOL, IRS and applicable state agencies for reports and filings and to determine and report on compliance issues.
- Reviews affiliates by-laws and minutes to determine and report on compliance issues.
- Assists in the development and continuous updating of the AFGE Local/Council audit program.
- Prepares and provides audit findings and submits to the Special Assistant to the National Secretary-Treasurer or designee for review and approval.
- Confidentiality and privacy are imperative when reviewing Local and Council financial records.
B. Provides training on financial and related matters to AFGE National Officers, staff, Local/Council officers, and members when assigned.
C. Perform account analysis related to Local and Council PCT delinquency and membership reconciliation. Also, will provide guidance to Locals/Councils regarding financial and related matters to include providing technical assistance with LM and 990 filings.
D. Make full use of electronic media to communicate with all levels and groups within the Federation.
E. Will perform other duties as assigned.
III. PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE POSITION:
A. Ability to use a keyboard and screen for long periods of time is required.
B. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate information via telephone, email and other electronic formats to members and employees of the Federation.
C. The employee may be required to carry small equipment such as a laptop, projector and boxes weighing up to approximately 30-40 pounds. The employee may also be required to set-up the equipment for the training sessions.
IV. WORK ENVIRONMENT:
A. Work is generally in an office setting. Periodically long hours are required.
B. Employee may experience multiple interruptions and inflexible deadlines. The noise level in this environment is quiet to loud.
C. Duties are performed primarily indoors.
D. Travel is required and position may occasionally require longer periods of travel to include travel on weekends and holidays.
V. CONTROLS OVER WORK:
The incumbent’s work is under the direct supervision of the Special Assistant to the National Secretary-Treasurer as to the scope of his/her tasks, objectives to be achieved, and any limitation on the nature of the solution or the procedures to be used. Reports and recommendations are reviewed for compliance with general instructions; program conformity; sound application of principles, theories, and techniques; adherent to policies, practices, and procedures; and for the soundness of judgment and conclusions.
The incumbent receives direction from the Special Assistant of the National Secretary- Treasurer or designee as to the scope of financial compliance and training assignments.
Reports and recommendations are reviewed for compliance with general instructions; program conformity; sound application of principles, theories, and techniques; adherence to policies, practices, and procedures; and for the soundness of judgment and conclusions.
- Completion of a four (4) year college course leading to a BS degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related degree.
- Three (3) years of specialized recent experience as a professional accountant or auditor. This experience must assure applicant’s ability to perform professional work as an auditor and include spreadsheet experience.
- A Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or CPA candidate. A CPA candidate must meet the minimum requirements to sit for the CPA exam.
- Applicant must be available for significant on-going travel assignments, estimated at 50%.
- Applicant must write and communicate effectively.
- Experience with applications to include, but not limited to, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, QuickBooks, Go to Training and other applications related to finance and accounting.
- Experience in the current training technology such as Blackboard, Articulate, HTML, and Moodle.
- Demonstrate successful experience in adult education in the field of Finance and Accounting, including the experience to develop effective teaching modules and tools in a variety of educational formats.
- Must have an interest in and loyalty to the labor union movement.
VII. STATEMENT OF DIFFERENCES:
- G-11: Completion of a four (4) year college leading to a BA degree in Accounting or related degree with at least three (3) year of specialized experience in professional accounting or auditing.
- G-12: Holds a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license with at least three (3) years of specialized experience in professional accounting or auditing.
VIII. EEO STATEMENT
AFGE provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, gender identity and/or gender expression. In additional to federal law requirements, AFGE complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Interested applicants please submit resume to email@example.com. Please put Vacancy Announcement #9 in subject in.