Chief Financial Officer
RESPONSIBILITIES: The Chief Financial Officer is responsible for the development of the company's financial management strategy and execution. The CFO will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial related activities of the company. He/she will have multiple direct reports across financial planning and analysis, accounting and accounts payable/receivable. The CFO will also work with the CEO of the firm on investor relations, including capital raise.
Administration/reporting: direct the compilation and analysis of various corporate accounting, real estate development and property reports to provide management with accurate information and to comply with company policies and procedures as well as government laws and regulations.
- Complete all required and requested financial reporting in a timely and accurate manner.
- Perform special projects and other responsibilities as assigned. Participate in task forces and committees as requested.
- Prepare financial records and reports for a variety of real estate negotiations and transactions, to include property purchases, sales, rentals and leases.
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year end close, and timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Prepare and/or review appropriate general ledger entries and reconciliations.
- Be responsible for revenue recognition and other areas of the financial statements as determined.
- Research accounting issues for compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Oversee depreciation, amortization and cash flow schedule and cash flow management.
- Effectively manage payment and technical loan covenant analysis for existing loans and lender reporting related obligations.
- Review, submit, record, and coordinate funding of all bank draw requisitions for development projects.
- Monitor internal audit reports and coordinate changes in accounting policies and practices as required.
- Coordinate Payroll and Benefits with HR Manager.
Leadership: manage all facets of the company accounting, keep abreast of brand standards and the impact on the overall financial picture, provide leadership and managerial oversight of the accounting functions, and direct the overall company accounting practices including, but not limited to treasury, budget, tax, and audit activities.
Supervisory responsibilities: supervise the day-to-day accounting operations including, but not limited to: month/year-end close, accounts receivable & payable, financial reports, payroll, invoicing, cash receipts and disbursements. Effectively manage, train, coach, and review the work of the finance and accounting team.
Compliance: ensure the properties are in compliance with internal controls. Continuously monitor accounting and financial data for accuracy. Ensure all Company employees follow the Company's accounting policies and practices when performing financial transactions. Install and maintain adequate controls for the protection of the Company's financial assets against loss or misappropriation. Ensure compliance with federal and state regulations/rules for all company operating and development entities.
Process and Procedure Management: ensure accounting software systems are effective, efficient, and scalable. Provide on-going review and updates of the accounting systems and procedures to ensure that all balance sheet accounts (including all tax- related accounts and intercompany transaction accounts) in all regions are fully reconciled, documented, and explainable in accordance with Company policy. Oversee the maintenance and improvement of company's internal control structure and systems, and, in conjunction with the CFO, update and maintain company-wide accounting policies and procedures. Monitor and analyze work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
Tax Preparation: coordinate with outside CPA on tax filing and optimize general tax practice. Manage and coordinate the preparation of the annual tax returns, using his/her thorough knowledge of real estate partnership taxation along with ability to identify tax savings and other value-add taxation initiatives. Responsible for the supervision of the completion of federal and state income tax returns including all related analysis and support.
Strategic Planning for Growth: assist in developing and managing strategic corporate finance structure and build budget/forecasting procedure for the Company's rapid expansion.
- Drive the annual budget process; forecasts and reports all variances monthly.
- Work with the CEO and Executive team in developing and implementing strategic direction of the accounting department and cross-functional processes.
- Assist the CEO with capital raise, acquisition, disposition and refinancing activities and take on special projects, as needed.
Communication: ensure all communication containing Company information is consistent with privacy policies, practices and regulations. Maintain a consistent professional and positive attitude when communicating with others. Communicate Accounting activities and plans with peers and superiors to obtain appropriate consultation, guidance and approval.
Insurance: ensure that all insurance requirements are in place for officers, properties, development projects and applicable vendors.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Advanced Degree and/or a CPA are a plus.
- 7+ years' experience in a leadership role in accounting and/or finance required.
- Experience in the Real Estate industry required.
- Microsoft Office: must be proficient with Word and Excel.
- Experience in implementing treasury processes, with a focus on efficiency and effectiveness.
- Solid analytical, problem solving and financial troubleshooting skills.
- Substantial and successful track record in accounting management while maintaining integrity and professionalism.
- Possess advanced knowledge of accounting along with the ability to compile facts/figures and analyze information that involves data manipulation or interpretation to arrive at logical conclusions.
- Able to anticipate and identify issues and exercise initiative to investigate, interpret and weigh alternatives to reach logical conclusions and make sound business decisions.
- Display consistent professional leadership while simultaneously handling competing and changing priorities and projects. Remain positive, resourceful and possess the ability to improvise while working in a fast-paced, growth-oriented environment.
- Able to effectively and efficiently schedule, manage and delegate work.
- Appropriately and effectively interview, hire, motivate, develop, monitor and address staff performance matters.
- Possess excellent listening, verbal and written communication skills with professionalism, diplomacy and confidentiality.
- Bring attention to detail, good organizational skills, and efficient time management.