Assistant Financial Controller
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directly manages the financial staff, consisting of the Assistant Controller, Accounts Payable and their direct reports. The Controller will have input into the Firm's accounting staff via recruiting, training, evaluation and development of its employees.
- Prepares budgets and supporting information; collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data; recommending plans of action.
- Oversees the month-end and year-end closing. Coordinates support among the accounting staff as needed.
- Provides monthly financial reporting of the Income Statement, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement. The financial package will be submitted to the CFO and Executive Committee.
- Prepares special reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting analysis and providing information to external tax practitioners where required.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements for various taxes levels and advises management on needed actions when necessary.
- Maintain Firm relations with banks, vendors, and professional service providers.
- Prepares Ad Hoc reports and analysis as needed by the CFO.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Protects firm operations by keeping confidential financial information.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- B.A. or B.S. degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA preferred.
- Experience in a law firm accounting department with a minimum of 5 years of management experience.
- Legal accounting software experience required, either Elite Enterprise or Aderant. Experience with ancillary software to improve efficiency and reporting.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and analytical skills required.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them by set deadlines.
- Ability to express self effectively and professionally both verbally and in writing with a strong command of the English language so that effective working relationships are established with various levels of personnel throughout the Firm.
- Must exhibit a high level of customer service and show support for the Firm's beliefs and values as they relate to customer service.
- Experience reconciling bank accounts and client trust accounts.
- Job occasionally requires more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position; may require irregular hours.