WPP Risk and Controls Director, EMEA, UK
WPP Risk and Controls Director, (EMEA) UK
This role is a critical in helping the WPP Global Director, Risk and Controls achieve its goals of:
- driving continuous improvement in the Company's control environment through ownership and accountability for internal at all levels of the Company;
- supporting the culture of control compliance and continuous controls improvement; and
- providing training and development as to "what good looks like" in relation to controls, supporting controls implementation and demonstrating the value of good controls throughout the Company.
The candidate must be extremely knowledgeable in business controls, auditing requirements including the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) requirements, US GAAP, and best practices and emerging trends with respect to Risk and Compliance.
Reporting jointly to the Global Director, Risk and Controls this role will be integral in maintaining and supporting the integrity and effectiveness of the Company's control involvement and monitoring its Principal risks as managed by the Risk Committees. The role requires a proactive self-starter who enjoys working in a challenging and fast-paced environment. Communication skills, attention to detail, and an objective approach to learning and problem-solving is a must.
The job will require up to 40% travel
Responsibilities will include
- Operate as a WPP thought leader and champion of the WPP Risk and Controls vision and strategy
- Thought leader in design and supporting the implementation of systems controls and design including both operational and financial processes
- Be a Network/ Brand partner and source of support and guidance for specific areas of change / strategic importance that require controls implementation to enable on-going success
- Assessing the processes and controls in place to manage our Principal risks on a Network/ Brand basis and ensuring correct linkage and monitoring between the bottoms up and top down risk management processes
- Specific to the WPP Risk and Controls Matrix, support the design and implementation of financial, operational and compliance controls across the Network/ Brand which includes meeting the documentation and evidence standards required
- Design and operate effective on-going quality review programs (separate and distinct from the WPP Internal Audit and Controls audits performed)
- Deliver high quality training both broadly across WPP and to targeted Operating companies and Regional teams
- Set a high standard and clear expectations for the WPP Risk and Controls team across the Group; challenge, encourage, motivate, and inspire individuals to maximize their potential to achieve individual and department objectives
- Design and implement processes to consistently deliver high-quality, timely work products
- Be a change agent to lead and effect desired change throughout the Company
- Be a great business partner; establish and maintain excellent relationships within the team, across WPP and the Networks and with external auditors
- Collaborate effectively with colleagues across functions and teams, including close partnerships with Finance, IT, Legal and Business Integrity.
- Develop pragmatic and sustainable solutions to enhance the control environment
- Continually identify and drive solutions for greater efficiency and value in all we do.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Undergraduate degree Finance or Accounting or related field of study.
- Track record of system design and implementation
- Experience assessing business risk and evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of internal control systems.
- Proven track record of driving improvement in the Internal audit function and creating stronger business partnering relationships, rather than simply enforcing guidelines.
- Extensive experience with GAAP, GAAS, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, SEC, PCAOB requirements, etc.
- Unwavering ethics and dependability.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) in interactions with staff, senior management and Board members.
- A leader who is fast-paced, high-energy, change-oriented and is able to work with independently.
- Proven ability to make decisions while being both a flexible and disciplined thinker.
- Self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Current CPA or ACA or equivalent
- Ability to coordinate completion of multiple tasks and meet aggressive time frames
- Ability to prepare management level presentations
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Good analytical skills with high attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to interact with all levels of an organization