Additionally, the Payroll Lead assists the Payroll Manager in providing guidance to payroll staff and performs some of the more complex payroll functions. This position, in general, is responsible for daily payroll processing functions is a key contact for facility personnel (based on assigned facilities) and is a resource to Payroll staff.
The Payroll Lead performs and supervises all activities necessary to processing 9 separate tax companies and one physicians group every two weeks ensuring that established deadlines are met through coordinating the flow of work by payroll staff employees.
Essential Job Outcomes & Functions
- Ability to adhere to multiple payroll policies and procedures to assure that deadlines are met, and legal requirements and hospital policies are observed. Policies & Procedures - articulates knowledge and understanding of organizational policies, procedures and systems; including strong understanding of internal controls within a consolidated payroll processing environment.
- Serve as resource to employees regarding compliance with California Wage and Hour Law. Ability to translate payroll & compensation terminology into terms understandable to employees.
- Communicate to Payroll Manager the level of performance by Payroll employees ongoingly to ensure department's goals are met.
- Ability to evaluate and develop recommendations and implement approved changes in the processing of payroll to assure efficient and effective operations and payroll processing. Communicates and participates in problem resolution processes.
- Provide prompt and courteous service and follow up to all requests in compliance with department procedures to assure employee problems are handled appropriately and timely, as are other requests for information from other departments and other sources. Facilitates strong customer service relationships.
- Responsible for handling quarterly and annual tax filings; including W2 forms.
- Working knowledge of existing payroll processing software (PeopleSoft) and the MTM (API) Time and Attendance system.
- Ability to complete simple to moderate spreadsheets using PeopleSoft and Microsoft excel.
- Prepare and balance all payrolls and send data to banks, accounting, and other vendors.
- Monitor the day to day time and attendance activity, ensuring timely response and compliance with controls while meeting customer needs and department goals.
- Completes some of the more complex payroll functions; including, ensuring that payroll files have been generated and transmitted for assigned facilities, adheres to Payroll Service Center internal control processes; including payroll balancing procedures. Prepare and balance all payrolls and send data to banks and accounting and other vendors.
- Acts as a resource to Payroll Service Center staff; providing guidance and assistance as directed by the Manager, assists with training on on-boarding of new staff.
- Maintains confidentiality with all payroll information.
Job Specific Competencies
- California Wage and Hour
- Payroll processing
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to influence, negotiate and problem solve.
- Ability to maintain the privacy and confidentiality of the data and information they are accessing.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced working environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to work effectively with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Proficient with navigating multiple systems with experience in PeopleSoft and/or API Time and Attendance preferred.
- Proficient Excel skills required, with a working knowledge of other Microsoft Office Suite applications. (Word, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Premium customer service skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Business or related field.
- Minimum of five years' experience in payroll department in healthcare, with proven expertise in end to end payroll processing and knowledge of Federal and State regulations is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- CPP Preferred