The purpose of the role is twofold: to ensure that the processes and controls operated by the business are sufficiently robust from a VAT perspective and that the business transactions are organised in the most VAT efficient way.
Our client is a leading name in the Education sector having an international network of higher-education institutions.
* Act as the subject matter specialist for all VAT matters covering both operational compliance and enhanced tax efficiencies
* A key aspect will be to ensure that the VAT impact of international activities and new business channels are handled correctly
* Review business activities, identifying risk exposure and ensure the business remains VAT compliant
* Proactively work with key stakeholders to identify and address VAT opportunities and VAT risks
* Maintain a professional working relationship with UK HMRC VAT officers, acting as the main contact point for correspondence, disclosures and inspections
* Provide technical VAT advice for ongoing business projects
* Identify areas requiring training and improvement. Create the course material and deliver training sessions to the business to improve general VAT understanding and reduce compliance risk
* Monitor changes in VAT legislation and interpretation to identify potential impact on the business and recommend and take appropriate action so the business complies with and obtains the maximum advantage from such changes
* Investigate new VAT registrations and VAT on new products as required.
* Managing and developing key relationships with internal and external stakeholders and provide appropriate technical VAT advice
* Preparation and submission of VAT returns and working schedules (including gathering and analysing data from the underlying accounting systems) to appropriate deadlines
* Support the business with the development of PESM
* Maintenance and reconciliation of VAT accounts and VAT balances and investigating and clearing reconciling items promptly
* Monitoring and ensuring VAT compliance across the group companies
* Investigate and address any queries arising from the VAT returns or raised by the business functions
* Provide ongoing support to the business to ensure VAT returns are prepared in line with MTD for VAT requirements.
* Lead on VAT support required as part of system transformation projects working closely with relevant project/system and finance staff
* CTA (indirect tax route) ACCA, CIMA qualified or equivalent experience
* In depth technical knowledge of UK & EU VAT law and practice
* Able to complete VAT compliance obligations in line with requirements
* Knowledge and understanding of the MTD for VAT requirements
* A drive for accuracy and completeness and good time management to ensure tasks are completed to tight deadlines
* Experience of working with tax authorities and external advisors
* Experience and knowledge of VAT in the education sector
* Practical experience of the basics of accountancy and reconciliations
* VAT trained in a top 10 practice
Competitive salary and benefits