Director Of Finance And Administration
- Full Time
Who We Are
Founded in 1972 in Berkeley, California, the Center for Independent Living (The CIL) emerged from the Independent Living movement of the 1960s as a powerful force in helping people with disabilities achieve their independence. TheCIL is the model for hundreds of Independent Living Centers throughout the U.S. and the world.
TheCIL is seeking a strategic, experienced nonprofit leader to serve as Finance and Administration Director ("FAD") and partner to the Executive Director in this growing organization.
The ideal candidate is
- has a strong finance and accounting background, along with an operational mindset. They will be able to span from hands-on accounting to strategic thinking about systems and support for the agency
- ready to step in when the ED is away, will provide financial expertise and oversight, and will guide and advise the nonprofit through continuous transformation.
- operationally savvy and able to think "big picture" about systems, finance, and strategy.
- a skilled communicator who can simplify complex concepts, understand and comply with contracts, and maintain the integrity of the financial systems.
- Oversee all aspects of agency finances for the $2.5 million organization, including a budget, forecast, cash flow management, annual budget, and day-to-day accounting.
- Build and maintain the infrastructure of the finance/accounting department
- Coordinate all audit activities and prepare tax reporting to various agencies.
- Manage compliance with federal, state, and city government grants, and account for private donations and fees charged for services rendered, and ensure that it is sustainable and scalable
Administrative Leadership and Management:
- Serve as a business partner to the ED on the organization's financial, budgeting, and administrative processes
- Partner with the ED to develop and deliver timely quarterly and annual financial reports and metrics for the Board of Directors
- Serve Administrative lead and second in command for the ED as required.
- Provide financial and operational input to strategy development, and to donor and philanthropic discussions
- Mentor and coach staff to grow the next generation of leaders
The Finance and Administrative Director will have 8-10 years of professional experience, building and managing finance and administration in a dynamic organization. Preference will be given to nonprofit experience.
- Bachelor's degree (MA/MBA preferred) in Business, Management, or Finance
- CPA credential highly desired
- Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team
- Entrepreneurial and a self-starter; able to build processes and procedures from the ground up and multi-task while also being highly detail-oriented
- Strong expertise in Excel and knowledge of accounting systems
- Experience should include legal, audit, compliance, budget, and resource development
- Passionate about the organization's mission and the people the organization serves; candidates with disabilities are highly desired.
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of driving efficiencies, and cutting costs
- The ability to "say it with charts;" exceptional skill at financial modeling, and creating presentations for senior management and board decision-making
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time
- Must be able to communicate and exchange accurate information via telephone, email and in-person with community members
- Travel to other agencies and organizations
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environments.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in joining TheCIL's team, please submit the following application materials to :
- A cover letter describing your interest in TheCIL and how your experience has prepared you for this role
All job offers are contingent on passing a pre-employment background check.
If you need reasonable accommodations for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify .
TheCIL is committed to building an inclusive and diverse community. We believe that marginalized people in society - including people with disabilities, veterans, BIPOC, women, and LGBTQ people- are communities that must be centered in the work we do. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or