Director of Finance - Sable Hotel
FLSA status: Exempt
Reports to: General Manager
Date: September 2020
The Director of Finance is responsible for leading Sable at Navy Pier accounting operation to maximize return and limit risk. You will have proven accounting and financial leadership skills in a complex, fast-paced, customer-centric environment. You will have sound decision-making abilities and solid business judgement to add value across the company. You will possess the aptitude to multi-task, be detail- oriented, and be able to problem-solve to effectively deal with internal and external customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following represents a list of essential duties and responsibilities; other duties may be assigned as required.
- Handle Sable at navy Pier billing functions and verify accuracy of all financial statements/transactions.
- Organize, secure, and maintain all files, records, cash, and cash equivalents in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Record, store, access, and/or analyze computerized financial information.
- Classify, code, and summarize numerical and financial data to compile and keep financial records using journals, ledgers, and/or computers.
- Monitor and manage Sable at Navy Pier accounts payable files.
- Process all invoices for payment through central accounting.
- Handle all month and year-end closing procedures and reports in period-end closing checklist
- Process customer tax exemptions following government regulations
- Track employee expenses through expense claims and company credit card purchases and process reimbursements.
- Ensure that effective internal controls and related policies and procedures are in place to facilitate accuracy, clarity and timeliness of reporting and to ensure compliance with GAAP, USALI, and other applicable federal, state, and local regulatory laws, rules and tax reporting
- Lead with the preparation of annual budgets
- Work with hotel operations team to prepare regular reforecasts of financial performance
- Work with hotel operations team to ensure accurate and regular inventories of food, beverage, guest supplies, and other operating supplies and equipment are maintained. Protect assets by establishing, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
- Assist with maintaining and renewing insurance coverages
- Assist with maintaining and renewing licenses, permits, and tax certificates
- Ensure sales, excise, and property taxes are paid in a timely fashion.
- Establish timeline for month-end close and manage processes of AP, AR, billings, payroll, job cost, and consolidation.
- Prepare end of the month payroll reports (comparison, vacation, sick days, and holiday reports).
- Assist with the payroll, bi- weekly.
- Work with hotel operating teams to control property expenses including labor in accordance with budget, reforecast, and changing business volume.
- Follow proper payroll and uniform procedures, wear proper uniform and maintain high standard in regard to personal appearance as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Perform other tasks or projects as assigned
- Conduct and/or attend meetings/training as required by Scout's corporate leadership.
- Perform special projects and other responsibilities as assigned.
- Perform other duties as requested by Scout leadership.
- Create high-quality finance team to lead financial planning and inventory control.
- Provide direction and training to operational team in areas related to financial reports, internal controls, standard operating procedures, expense controls, and payroll.
- Develop clear goals and accountability for direct reports and other performance feedback periodically.
Minimum Required Technical Skills and Qualifications
- Must be able to cope with frequent changing priorities and deadlines with a high degree of optimism, professionalism, and collaboration.
- Ability to research technical accounting issues, exercise professional judgement, and document conclusions/recommendations.
- Must be able to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical skills and ability.
- Excellent people skills and possess a positive, outgoing, and naturally curious personality.
- Strong ability to communicate with all levels and personalities as well as deliver presentations to large and small groups.
- Ability to handle obstacles in a positive and professional manner and to effectively communicate these problems, along with suggested solutions.
- Ability to work a flexible workweek including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and critical deadlines.
- Minimum of bachelor's degree in accounting, CPA, or equivalent.
- 10 + years' related experience.
- 2-4 years' experience as a Controller.
- Multi-property controller experience strongly preferred.
- Solid supervisory experience managing accounting staff.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Office including Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- M3 Accounting Software preferred.
- Netchex Payroll System preferred.
The physical demands and environmental factors described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Computer work and reading consistently
- Sitting more than 5 hours per day