- Identifies, develops and implements tax planning strategies to minimize tax exposure, works with all internal business areas on planned strategies and decisions to develop tax solutions and advise management on the associated tax consequences and risks.
- Monitors tax and health reform legislation changes and assesses their impact to the company and develops strategies for compliance. Resolves substantive and procedural tax issues, including the interpretation of statutes and regulations and communicates planning recommendations to management.
- Advises management on tax implications of various transactions, legal entity structures and services provided, implications of operating Not for Profit and For Profit entities.
- Advises management on financial statement reporting/disclosure requirements for income taxes under ASC 740; reviews annual and quarterly tax provisions, and financial statement disclosures for income tax.
- Ensures timely and accurate filing of all tax returns and proper accrual of tax expenses and liabilities, manages preparation of Federal, state and local tax returns by outsourced third party preparers and review tax returns, estimates, and extensions.
- Reviews, updates and ensures appropriate internal controls are in place, and responds to internal testing of tax related SOX/Model Audit Rule documentation.
- Actively works with Finance and Actuarial departments to comply with government reporting requirements, including Federal and state insurance regulatory authorities.
- Manages all tax audits and controversies with the IRS, state, and local authorities, and ensures that all inquiries are responded to appropriately and timely, develops arguments to defend challenged positions or issues.
- Maintains effective relationships with, and manages, outside tax advisors, as well as attest firm.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting.
- CPA preferred.
- MS in Taxation is a plus
- Minimum 10 years overall tax experience and 5 years tax compliance experience at a public accounting firm and/or publicly traded corporation Required.
- Not for Profit and for Profit experience Required.
- In depth knowledge of taxes Required.
- Proactive in identifying opportunities and assessing risks related to tax issues Required.
- Ability to work with numerous constituencies, including senior management, staff, external auditors, regulatory agencies Required.