Staff Auditor II
The Staff Auditor II also conducts audits pertaining to risk management, Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), and internal controls in medium and high complexity areas with minimal supervision. He/She is responsible for audit preparation, creation, testing, and reporting of results. The Staff Auditor II, working under the direction of the Audit Manager, leads all aspects of assigned audit engagements. The Staff Auditor II assists external auditors in addressing testing and compliance issues. This position may require a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) certification.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Controls self-audit processes (SOX and Non-SOX)
- Retests to verify testing was completed per IIA and Department Standards (e.g., end-of-year sampling, roll forward testing, re-testing, etc.).
- Reviews self-audit tests to ensure complete and proper documentation is provided.
- Reports audit review findings to management to obtain additional corrective actions and to highlight improvement opportunities for future self-audit reviews.
- Reviews effectiveness of established self-audit processes and recommends improvement to management to validate that self-audits are properly completed.
- Documents findings and action plans on the year-end Corrective Action Plan (CAP) to provide as reference for management and external auditors.
- Executes Audits
- Adheres to new accounting guidelines to ensure successful implementation into the audit process.
- Allocates resources and expenses as planned to ensure audits are completed on time and within budget.
- Uses auditing web tool (i.e., risk management area reporting tool) to document audit findings.
- Manages progress of audit programs to ensure proper completion (e.g., sufficient number of samples reviewed, audit properly completed, etc.).
- Validates Appropriateness of Corrective Action Plan Results
- Completes the action plan document (i.e., CAP) to provide test results and recommendations.
- Interacts with District, Region and Corporate management to finalize audit results and obtain corrective actions.
- Follows-up with management to ensure corrective actions were implemented.
- Leads Audit Preparation
- Develops test plans for new areas to identify milestone activities.
- Assists manager to complete the risk assessment process and development of audit schedules.
- Reviews audit processes (e.g., process map, narrative and control point listing, etc.) to ensure documentation is current and to identify any gaps in test procedures.
- Interviews relevant staff to confirm process activities are documented accurately.
- Prepares work papers (i.e., description of implemented audit controls tests) to formally document audit activities.
- Completes audit preparation activities (travel arrangements, pre-site testing, etc.) to ensure a smooth audit engagement.
- Coordinates with External Auditors as Required
- Meets with external auditors to respond to process documentation requests (e.g., review annual testing plans, audit test findings, etc.).
- Assists external auditors with additional testing required to verify previous results.
- Provides year-end final documentation to ensure compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley and prevent misstatements of financial reporting.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates a broad business and accounting knowledge; describes methods in compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Distinguishes between "big picture" concepts and comments and specialized, smaller specific facts associated with work; notes the specifics of events and experiences; explains, in general, how details impact end goals or outcomes; ensures that work is completed accurately and with the appropriate level of detail.
- Applies knowledge of agencies' functions and regulations to compliance and enforcement activities; identifies routine situations where the organization may be out of compliance as well as the specific impacts of non-compliance.
- Demonstrates an understanding of basic project planning processes, including planning action items and resources.
- Bachelors Degree - Finance or Accounting Preferred
- Bachelors Degree - Required
- Masters Degree - Business Admininstration Preferred
- Advanced proficiency using Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel, and Power BI - Required
- Executive-level presentation experience - Required
UPS is an equal opportunity employer. UPS does not discriminate on the basis of race/color/religion/sex/national origin/veteran/disability/age/sexual orientation/gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law