The Corporate Controller manages the financial accounting and financial reporting matters of the organization and prepares financial analyses of operating results, including interim and year-end financial statements and supporting documentation. The incumbent requires an advanced knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and financial disclosure requirements and the ability to apply that knowledge in the daily processing, monitoring and control of the Bank’s accounting and finance related activities. The Corporate Controller is responsible for the company's accounting policies and practices, the maintenance of its fiscal records, tax strategy, credit loss modeling, and the preparation of internal and external financial reports including various required SEC and regulatory filings (i.e. 10K/10K/Call Report). In addition, the position is responsible for monitoring, interpreting, and implementing new accounting pronouncements and policies. Work is varied in nature with changing and multiple competing priorities. Requires strong people and process management skills.
- Directs and supervises work of the financial accounting, credit loss modeling, SOX and accounting policy, financial systems, and financial reporting teams;
- Maintains the company's system of accounts and keeps records on all company transactions and assets;
- Manages the month-end, quarter-end and year-end financial accounting close process;
- Oversees the quarterly tax provision for the Bank and its subsidiaries and manages tax planning and compliance with all federal, state, and local taxing authorities;
- Coordinates the Regulatory reporting process;
- Coordinates the SEC reporting process for the Bank and is responsible for the accurate filings of the 10-K, 10-Q’s, and required 8-K filings;
- Oversees preparation and review of consolidated financial statements and footnote tables; updating footnote disclosures, and writing the Management Discussion & Analysis;
- Chairs the Company's SOX Committee in order to ensure effective internal controls over financial reporting;
- Identifies, develops, and recommends internal accounting and financial reporting standards, policies, operating procedures, and new programs to improve efficiency;
- Provides oversight of disclosure requirements and ensures compliance for new accounting pronouncements, exposure drafts and SEC rules;
- Responsible for maintenance, documentation, review and control of work paper support for the quarter and annual filings with the SEC;
- Serves as the primary Finance interface with internal and external auditors and coordinates all quarterly review and annual audit activities;
- Acts as the liaison between the accounting department and other departments to resolve problems and/or responds to inquiries regarding general ledger and/or accounting related questions.
This position reports to the CFO of Atlantic Union Bankshares.
Education & Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting; Master's degree in Finance/Accounting, a plus
- Ten years of accounting experience in the banking industry
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) required
- Five years of supervisory experience
- Demonstrated leadership, team-building, and coaching skills; experience hiring and building teams and the supporting process and financial systems infrastructure.
Knowledge & Skills
- Personal qualities that include a high level of integrity, enthusiasm, sense of urgency, calm under pressure, proactive approach, innovative thinking, and confidence in the quality of work
- In-depth knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and procedures as applied to a financial institution
- In-depth knowledge of all regulations related to SEC and regulatory financial reporting and filing deadlines
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills
- Advanced PC skills and strong working knowledge of integrated financial accounting systems (e.g., GL, AP, fixed assets, management reporting, etc.)
- Advanced written, oral and interpersonal skills
- Effective problem-solving skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions accurately and timely
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran. We maintain a drug-free workplace.