Director of Risk & Safety - Year Round - Full Time
Who We're Looking For: Friendly folks who want to work at the best summer vacation destination, play in the outdoors and meet friends from around the world. If you like to provide incredible guests service with a friendly attitude, then you're ready to join our team. If you're dream job includes working in the sunshine, interacting with guests, rewarding work, rides on a mountain coaster, employee parties and more, we'd love to hear from you!
Perks & Benefits: Year Round employees at Steamboat are eligible for medical, dental, vision, PTO and Vacation, Paid Parental Leave, Health Saving Account employer match as well as the perks and benefits that all Steamboat employees enjoy. These include a Steamboat and Alterra Mountain ski pass for you and eligible dependents, competitive compensation, retail/rental discounts, food & beverage discounts, industry pro deal discounts, friends & family discounted tickets subject to restrictions, reservations and/or blackout dates, 401(k) plan with a generous company match, (eligibility rules apply), Employee Assistance Program, and a chance to learn and advance within Steamboat Ski & Resort Corp
Steamboat is looking for a Risk & Safety Director with previous ski area operations experience, including knowledge and experience in a wide variety of departments, for example, SnowSports school, ski patrol, lift operations and maintenance, slope maintenance, lodging, human resources and/or food & beverage operations. A minimum of one year of managerial experience is required. Cover letter and resume required.
Detailed job description, including responsibilities, work performed, tools or equipment used, etc.:
The Risk & Safety Director is responsible for developing, implementing and updating all safety programs for both employees and guests. This includes, but not limited to, Workers' Compensation, General Liability, Auto and Property Insurance claims and reporting, guest service issues resulting from injuries, on and off mountain safety and risk management training programs, OSHA compliance and filings, and other matters involving employee and guest safety and claims. This position requires execution and management of all operational, technical and cultural related issues contained within or associated within the resort's safety and compliance programs and regular interaction with internal and external legal counsel. The Risk & Safety Director is responsible to create a safety-minded culture resort-wide through positive influence & role-modeling, effective communication & education and other safety and risk management initiatives from time to time. This position has a dotted line to, and works closely with, the VP of Human Resources related to employee safety and wellness programs, including workers compensation.
- Develop and maintain company safety, risk program and policies, including employee wellness programs, infectious disease management; assist with individual department safety needs, supplies & risk education and specialized training; document and communicate to senior management safety related issues.
- Oversee Employee Safety Program including participating in and documenting safety meetings and site inspections.
- Function as the primary contact liaison between involved parties as well as with insurance company representatives, counsel, senior management, and ski patrol; work with the director of ski patrol to coordinate procedures to document and investigate incidents.
- Act as company representative in response to serious incidents.
- Review, investigate, and record all incidents and/or accidents for employees and guests occurring in all departments.
- Review, investigate, and record workers' compensation claims; complete OSHA reports; ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements, job hazard analysis requirements, monitor third party administrator and assist in negotiations with Preferred Provider Organizations.
- Maintain records and documentation as required by law, including the management of the transition from MSDS to SDS in compliance with GHS requirements.
- ln all lines of insurance (general liability, workers' compensation, auto, property, etc.) function as the primary liaison, monitor settlement negotiations, assist to settle claims and make recommendations to upper management and legal counsel for settlement amounts.
- Oversee and administrate the company driving policies both for employees as well as for guests/venders/contractors allowed to drive on the resort.
- Oversee and administrate company Substance Abuse Policy.
- Perform routine inspections and audit of all facilities (on and off mountain) to ensure they are always in optimal operating conditions and free from undue risks and exposures.
- Organize and chair NSAA National Safety Month activities.
- Member of the Emergency Management Committee, including the Incident Command System.
- Review resort website for ADA compliance, safety messaging and related content.
- Review departmental manuals and suggest changes.
- Work closely with US Forest Service, City and County Law Enforcement, and the local Fire Department as it pertains to Risk & Safety.
Minimum skills, experience, education and ability required for this job:
• College degree in business or related field preferred, plus 3-4 year's management experience with emphasis on risk management or insurance related environment or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired is required
• Previous ski area operations experience required; knowledge and experience in a wide variety of departments, for example, SnowSports school, ski patrol, lift operations and maintenance, slope maintenance, lodging, human resources and/or food & beverage operations strongly preferred
• Minimum one year supervisory or managerial experience
• Understanding of insurance coverage, theories of liability and insurance adjuster practices
• Knowledge of workers' compensation, OSHA requirements and SDS requirements in compliance with GHS
• Strong organizational, analytical, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
• Must be proficient with Microsoft Office software including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint
• Exceptional employee/guest relations skills with ability to deal calmly and effectively with guests and staff at all levels often in stressful situations
• Solid level of business acumen - Strong financial and business-related skills including, but not limited to budget administration and analysis, and superior management skills
• Must have valid driver's license, pass criminal and motor vehicle background check and meeting company insurability standards
• Available on-call as needs arise
• Be a consistent role model for the company Service Excellence standards
• Must communicate clearly in English, written and verbal
• Advanced skiing or riding required, and intermediate mountain biking is preferred for on-slope analysis and assessment of risk related policies/programs
• Must be a minimum of 18 years of age
• This is an exempt salaried position that is not subject to overtime pay
• Pursuant to county and/or state orders and company policies, every employee is required to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms, practice social distancing, wash hands frequently, wear a mask per current guidelines, self-report and call in immediately and stay home if sick and assist with sanitizing and disinfecting work areas. Employees must follow all resort mitigation plans and protocols, which can be found posted on resort buildings and on Beekeeper
• Resume and cover letter required
The base salary range below represents the low and high end of the Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation salary range for this position. Actual salaries will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to experience, education, training, location, merit system, quantity or quality of production, responsibilities, and regular and/or necessary travel. The range listed is just one component of Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation's total compensation package for employees. Other rewards may include short-term and long-term incentives and many region-specific benefits.
Steamboat area base salary range: $60,000-$102,000 per year
Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer