Commercial Management Accountant
Responsible for reporting trading activities, collating financial data to report monthly management accounts.
Your new company
My client has been described as "unquestionably the finest university museum in the world". They are part of the Oxford University Museums Group and houses the University's collections of art and archaeology together with objects and works owned by other private individuals and bodies who have loaned to it. The collections themselves are of world significance. They range from archaeology to the fine and decorative arts of Europe and Asia and from coins to casts of classical sculpture. These are used for teaching and research purposes both within the University and in the worldwide academic and research communities. Above all, it is a great public Museum, open to all without charge.
Your new role
You will be an integral part of the Finance team, taking special responsibility for all accounting within the commercial operations of the museum, and providing support for other members of the team as and when required. This post will also be responsible for delivering a step-change in the delivery of regular financial reporting for all areas of the museum - leading on improving the quality, accuracy and timeliness of key management information to better support decision-making.
You will work closely with the Head of Finance, the Commercial Director, management accountant, finance analyst and cost centre managers of the various departments within the museum including all the stakeholders of the GLAM commercial review ensuring they understand their informational needs in order to drive better quality reporting and decision making. This role also oversees correct ordering, purchasing and accounting procedures and reconciliations to the stock system. They will play a key role in reporting, budgeting, forecasting, planning and variance analysis. They will have the commercial acumen to draw insights and options from the financial data to the benefit of the bottom line.
You will also work closely with all the Trading and Exhibition teams of the museum and comes at a time of continued development within the Museum's history. The Finance Department is involved in all aspects of Museum life to varying degrees, which makes this a very interesting post.
What you'll need to succeed
- Experience of working in an accounting environment, evidenced by a relevant CCAB/CIMA/ACCA accountancy qualification.
- Strong understanding of financial IT systems, including experience of using such systems, ideally Oracle Financials, and advanced Excel, i.e. Macros and reporting development experience.
- Experience of working within a commercial environment preferably retail
- Experience of interpreting financial policies
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to establish and maintain relationships with cost centre managers and other key stakeholders.
- Methodical, paying close attention to detail at all points.
- Good time management skills and the ability to work to set deadlines.
- Willingness to take ownership of and responsibility for discrete areas of activity.
- Demonstrable problem-solving skills combined with the ability to generate practical and effective solutions, combined with a flexible "can do" attitude and commitment to customer service.
- Experience of supervising staff members
What you'll get in return
Professional career development in a supportive environment.
Employees enjoy 38 days' paid holiday, generous pension schemes, travel discounts, and a variety of professional development opportunities.
Central Oxford location, close to the city centre and train station.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.