Part Time Head of Finance
Part time Head of Finance, sitting on the senior management team, reporting into the CEO and responsible for the finances of the Students' Union. The role oversees the financial operations of the entire organisation, management of the finance team and the organisations long term financial strategy.
London South BankStudents' Union (LSBSU) is a charity, independent of the University, set up for the sole benefit of London South Bank Students. Oversight and governance of the charity is undertaken by the Trustees. At LSBSU our Trustees Board is made up of four externals trustees, four Sabbatical Officers and four ordinary members or LSBSU students. LSBSU students have the potential to do anything, and the Union leads an essential role in helping them to achieve things they may have never thought possible. As a charity LSBSU employs 22 career staff and delivers on a wide range of services and representative functions for students.
The Finance team works to ensure that departments and student groups are well resourced and able to deliver on our mission. The team plays an essential role in the delivery of our new strategic plan.
The Head of Finance will play an integral role in providing a modern and accessible finance service, whilst leading on the Union's financial management and performance. The Head of Finance also plays a vital role in building excellent working relationships with LSBSU colleagues and other stakeholders, including the Union's Sabbatical Officers. The next Head of Finance will need to be able to understand where system improvements are needed and have the skill and attitude to make tangible improvements for sustaining the Union.
The post holder will work closely with the Chief Executive and senior colleagues to deliver operational elements of the role. The Head of Finance will also be a key member of the Union's Senior Leadership Team, working closely with the Board of Trustees and Finance and Risk Committee to ensure financial strategies and management practices achieve the most effective use of resources
The role will also include the following responsibilities:
- As part of the Senior Leadership Team, contribute to the development, roll out and review of the Union's strategic plan.
- Develop, inspire and train finance staff to achieve their full potential and who in turn can make tangible contributions to the Union.
- Lead responsibility for the financial strategy section of the Union's strategic plan to include investment of funds, cash flow forecasts and bench marking with similar organisations.
- Overseeing the end-to-end preparation of the annual budgets and associated three-year plans, working with finance and non-finance colleagues throughout the process. Also responsible for costing of projects and any relevant financial management subjects.
- To lead on the year end process and the preparation of the organisations annual accounts in line with the accountancy standards.
- Lead in the preparation of monthly accounts, variance analysis and commentaries, working with the Union's stakeholders.
- Fulfilment of a Finance Business Partner role to the Union, including regular liaison with senior managers and budget holder.
You will be a fully qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent) with strong all-round finance capabilities that can be evidenced through experience. You will be able to communicate effectively with finance and non-finance colleagues at all levels, with experience of supporting key decision-making. Alongside this you will hold strong technical finance understanding and be able to drive improvement and development of a finance function in a growing organisation.
£50,000 pro rata for 3 days a week Auto enrolment pension scheme, generous annual leave entitlement, flexible working arrangement options to work from home.