Tax & Accounting Product Compliance Manager
About the role…
As Regulatory Risk and Compliance Manager (US Product) you will directly contribute to Xero's vision of being the most insightful and trusted small business platform. You will support our customers and team, ensuring that the products Xero builds comply with local government regulations. You will build and own the regulatory risk map for the US, highlighting where regulatory change will impact areas of our platform and the opportunities this change offers Xero and small business. You will work to build deep relationships with the appropriate regulatory and professional bodies.
About the team...
You will work collaboratively as part of local and global teams. At a local level, you will connect with Product, Technology, GTM, Legal and other groups. You will be part of a global team that each manage regulatory risk and compliance for their respective markets and collaborate on shared projects.
What you'll do...
- Serve as a subject matter expert in American accounting and bookkeeping. Researching, analyzing, defining and executing the operating model and risk frameworks against current and proposed legislation in the region
- Support M&A teams on awareness of regulatory requirements
- Be an active member of the internal community of regulatory and product subject matter experts
- Participate in technical working groups, ensuring we build strong communication channels to support implementation and collaboration opportunities around future changes in regulatory requirements
- Build relationships with government agencies and professional bodies (in particular tax authorities and those driving compliance requirements in product) to represent Xero
- Work with product teams to help them understand relevant requirements and translate these into accurate technical specifications
- Review future product features and functionality, providing input during the planning phase, to ensure they align with current and proposed legislation and regulatory requirements
What you'll bring...
- A degree or higher in Accounting, Commerce, Law, Taxation, Finance or similar
- Experience building product roadmaps is desirable but not essential
- Experience building strong relationships with a broad range of stakeholders including senior leadership, external customers and technical peers
- Ability to write technical advice and conducting risk assessments, and translate technical regulatory detail into natural english
- Excellent working knowledge of regional regulatory requirements that impact or drive data and returns flowing in/out of the tax authorities (broadly around income tax, sales tax, payroll and related cybersecurity and privacy requirements)
- Extensive experience (6+ years) in public practice with a focus on taxation, compliance or business services with working knowledge of regional requirements around accounting and reporting obligations
- A current qualified accountant or bookkeeper with designation from a professional body
This is a permanent role ideally based in our office in Denver, San Francisco or New York (possibility for remote work). Xero is a global business, so while your focus is in-region, it will be necessary for you to regularly work with teams who are globally dispersed and may result in meetings and collaboration with colleagues in other timezones (and outside the “standard business hours” of your region), so we also offer flexibility to working from home.