Assistant Billing Manager (Legal)
This role will support the Billing Manager in ensuring the smooth progression of the firm's legal aid bills. You will proactively assist the Billing Manager in reviewing and implementing innovative ways to improve systems and procedures to ensure the department achieves its KPI's and maintains its excellent standards.
Established almost 100 years ago, the client are experts is several fields of law and deliver legal support and guidance to individuals, families and businesses. The areas they specialise in to name a few are: Company Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Crimininal Law. Their reputation is not only built from delivering high quality legal advice, but also for their exceptional standards of client care.
The key responsibilities include:
- To deputise for the Billing Manager and provide managerial level support, training and assistance to staff and fee earners.
- To oversee the smooth running of the firms most challenging civil claims (including matters involving statutory charge and historic UPOA cases).
- To post all necessary civil bills, ensuring ledgers are correct and fit to archive.
- To maintain and update the firms purpose built civil billing tracker.
- Provide accurate reports for management and fee earners.
- To oversee the approval of the firm's monthly legal help submissions.
- Liaising with fee earners to ensure files are in good order, responding to queries efficiently.
- Liaising with Chambers, Legal Aid Agency (LAA) and external suppliers in a timely and professional manner
- Processing and resubmitting rejected bills within appropriate KPI's and appeal deadlines.
- Liaise with the Billing Manager and Managing Partner to ensure processes are fit for purpose and provide assistance when implementing new strategies.
- Provide training where appropriate on new and existing systems across the firm for both fee earners and staff.
- To assist the Billing Department on special projects for the firm including its own billing consultancy arm.
The successful candidate will have:
- 5 years + experience with legal aid bills (Essential)
- Experience with High Cost billing (Essential)
- Experience with Inter Partes bills (Essential)
- Proven ability to train staff on billing processes (Essential)
- Self-motivated with ability to work on own initiative (Essential)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (Essential)
- Experience of managing stakeholders at all levels (Desirable)
- Knowledge of SAR's and VAT (Essential)
- Experience of managing and supervising a team (Desirable)
- Experience with Tikit P4W Windows (Desirable)
- Experience with Cost master, including drafting of Bill of Costs (Desirable)
On offer to the candidate is:
- A salary between £35k - £40k
- 9:30 - 5:30pm working day
- 23 days holiday excl Bank Holidays
- Discretionary Bonus
- Free Eye Test
- Free Flu jabs