Director of Finance
A unique opportunity for a skilled financial professional
The College of Optometrists has a rare opportunity for an ambitious and skilled finance professional to join our team to provide strategic financial leadership to the College, alongside facilities, regulatory and company secretarial services.
Optometrists have a major part to play in the health of the nation. Healthcare is changing rapidly and we want to ensure that the optometric profession has the skills and confidence to take on the opportunities. The College, a Royal Charter body and registered charity with a turnover of £7m, has a unique role to play in supporting our 16,000 members through professional development, guidance and research to ensure they are well placed to deliver the highest quality eye care for their patients.
As Director of Finance, you will ensure that the organisation’s financial objectives are met in order to deliver against our ambitious strategy during a period of change for the College and the profession. You will be a key member of a high performing and collaborative leadership team, operating at a strategic level, reporting to the Board on financial performance, whilst also remaining hands-on in a small team.
Reporting to the Chief Executive, you will:
- be responsible for the delivery of the College’s financial, regulatory and company secretarial services
- be a key member of the senior management team and pivotal in influencing and driving the changes on the horizon for the College and profession
- provide proactive financial and operational management support and direction to a small finance team, directors, employees and the College Trustees
- lead the facilities function ensuring our employees have the tools to do their jobs well and can operate in an excellent working environment.
You will have proven the experience of:
- operating at a senior level and advising senior leaders on business and financial issues
- managing financial systems
- charity reporting requirements
- setting and managing budgets
- producing accurate and timely management accounts and cash flow forecasts
- producing ad hoc analysis and business modelling
- providing financial advice and direction on operational and business issues (including investments)
- maintaining office facilities
- managing and developing team members.
- be a graduate, with an ACA, ACCA or CIMA qualification with post qualification experience gained in financial roles
- be commercially astute, entrepreneurial and IT literate
- have a track record of demonstrable achievement preferably gained in either a not for profit environment, the Education sector or a professional membership organisation
- be highly numerate and have experience of preparation and presentation of budgets and management accounts
- have strong technical knowledge in areas such as organisational risk management, taxation law, VAT, Charity Commission regulations and Company Secretarial reporting requirements
- be someone with attention to detail, organisation, accuracy and sensitive to the needs of your various audiences that you will manage
- be a strong communicator and prepared to roll up your sleeves to cover all accounting tasks to ensure work is completed and delivered on time.
Our staff enjoys an excellent benefits package which is reviewed regularly, we have developed a great employee benefits package, which includes:
- a good holiday entitlement and Christmas and New Year closure
- generous pension scheme
- life assurance
- an employee assistance programme
- season ticket loan
- private health care and a health cash plan scheme
- give as you earn.
We are also committed to the ongoing professional development of all of our staff, and we are all encouraged to take up learning opportunities, including formal and professional qualifications.