Assistant Director Resources and S151 Officer
The Borough Council of King’s Lynn and West Norfolk is a district council covering a large geographical area, with a reputation for delivering results and for offering excellent career development opportunities to our staff.
If you are a talented finance manager, looking for a varied and challenging workload, this is an excellent opportunity to expand your skills and experience within our newly-formed team of Assistant Directors. Supporting a small Senior Management Team to deliver the council’s corporate objectives, you will have the opportunity to contribute your financial expertise to a unique range of projects and initiatives, including our major house building program, our growing group of wholly-owned council companies and a range of major investment and development schemes.
The council is the major housing developer in the borough and also has a number of wholly-owned local authority companies. As the council's chief financial officer, you will need to take a leading role in these projects.
Coordinate and oversee the following Service Areas, ensuring effective leadership across all functions:
- Financial Services;
- Revenues and Benefits;
- Audit and Fraud;
- As the Council’s Chief Financial Officer (Section 151 Officer) the role of this post is to ensure the proper administration of the Councils financial affairs
- First point of contact for Senior Management Team and Members in respect of the financial affairs of the Council
- To provide financial support and advice to Senior Management Team and Members
- To co-ordinate and respond to requests for financial advice and information from Senior Management Team, Members and the Communications Team
- To complete, authorise and submit statutory returns
- Liaison with external bodies
- Coordinate and oversee a range of services/cross-service Project Teams, including Line Management of Service Managers/Team Managers as appropriate. These may change from time to time to reflect Council priorities and emerging issues.
- Direct responsibility for the effective management and day to day operation of Financial Services.
- Share responsibility with other Assistant Directors/Senior Management Team for effective delivery of services across the range of the Authority’s functions and responsibilities. Actively encourage cross-service working and sharing of expertise/resources to facilitate overall achievement of corporate objectives on time and within budget.
CRITERIA FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE IN THE JOB
- Full CIPFA qualification
- Management qualification equivalent to Diploma/NVQ Level 5 and at least 3 years’ managerial experience within public sector finance
- A proven track record of working effectively in a political environment, advising and informing Elected Members and gaining their confidence
- Knowledge of all major issues currently affecting Local Government finance
- Detailed understanding of the role of a Section 151 Officer and relevant statutory requirements.
- Experience of successful partnership working with external bodies and partner organisations to facilitate joint working and achievement of organisational objectives.
- Experience of dealing with transformation, modernisation and change programmes.
- Effective communication skills, including the ability to produce complex reports, adapt style to engage different audiences and deliver financial information in an accessible manner.
- Ability to build effective and productive relationships with colleagues, partners and key stakeholders.
- Ability to work to deadlines and plan and organise workloads, judging priorities and reconciling conflicting demands and pressures.
- The ability to effectively manage and motivate staff
- Ability to set individual/team objectives and targets that support corporate priorities and aims
Closing Date: 27 October 2019
Interview Date: 11 November 2019