Head of Finance and Commercial
This is an exciting opportunity to lead the modernisation of a finance and commercial team and provide leadership within an organisation embarking on an ambitious programme of change.
As part of our change agenda you will have the opportunity to implement a new team structure, introduce new systems, and improve our processes. These changes are with the ambition of providing corporate services, which are amongst the best in the civil service and are designed around the needs of our internal and external customers.
The successful applicant will also have a critical role in providing leadership to the wider organisation, particularly in supporting delivery of our recently published strategic plan. You will lead on securing funding to deliver the plan and respond to fiscal events such as budgets and spending reviews.
We are looking for strong leadership skills to help the team implement improvements, the ability to build successful relationships with colleagues in the Inspectorate and the Ministry for Housing Communities and Local Government, and the ability to influence senior stakeholders, including Board members. The successful candidate will act as an inspiring and confident role model to their team and others across the organisation.
Essential Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Recognised accountancy qualification (ACA, CIMA, ACCA, CIPFA) and post qualification experience.
- Understand political context and need to balance performance, financial and policy objectives
- Ability to think strategically and understand impact and risks of changing processes across the organization.
- Dynamic and inclusive leadership, actively and visibly role modelling values of Civil Service Leadership statement with energy and enthusiasm
- Experience of having used business partnering models and techniques to drive business value and performance.
- Outstanding influencing skills and the ability to secure agreement to solutions, managing competing priorities of a range of senior stakeholders whilst maintaining good relationships.
- Credible at Board level with an ability to communicate complex issues to non-specialists.
- Experience of maintaining financial control and generating value during periods of significant change
- Access to learning and development tailored to your role
- A working environment that supports a range of flexible working options
- Based in offices next to Temple Meads station, with on-site gym and restaurant.
- 25 days annual leave on entry, increasing on a sliding scale to 30 days after 5 years’ service. This is in addition to 8 public holidays
- This will be complimented by one further day paid as a privileged entitlement to mark the Queen’s Birthday
- A competitive contributory pension scheme that you can enter as soon as you join with significant employer contributions to the cost of your pension and valuable benefits for you and your family
- Flexible working patterns including parttime and access to flexible working arrangements
- Generous parental leave and flexible leave policies
- Childcare benefits (policy for new employees as of 1 October 2018)
- Occupational sick pay
- Access to exceptional Learning and Development courses and development
- Payment of professional fees