Audit Manager - Public Services
Audit Manager Grade: Manager Service Line: Audit - Public Services
Nottingham Reporting To: Senior Management team Key Relationships: Audit team, wider Mazars teams i.e. tax teams, colleagues, clients
£50,000 pa core and flexible benefits, plus rewards for excellence bonus Job Purpose As an Audit Manager your role will be to support Partners and Directors in developing the Public Services Audit team through the delivery of high quality audit services. The role will involve the day to day management of a portfolio of clients, the supervision of audit staff in the day to day running of assignments and a range of activities to help develop the public sector audit business. Clients As the third largest provider of external audit services within the public sector our vision is to be recognised in the marketplace as a firm focused on our people and our clients, and as a firm that stands out for its contribution to society. Mazars and the public sector The public sector is a strategic market for Mazars, which means that it is a priority area for our investment and growth. We provide audit, assurance and advisory services to local authorities, police and fire bodies, NHS organisations, central government bodies and NDPBs, social housing organisations, universities, colleges and schools. The public services audit team works with local government, health and central government entities. The scale of our clients' activities includes revenues that range from over £1.5 billion up to under £50m. For local government entities, Public Sector Audit Appointments commissions our work as external audit supplier. In the health sector we directly engage with individual CCGs and Trusts. The firm is a framework supplier on several public sector audit frameworks, including that let by the National Audit Office. Job Role
• Assisting and advising the client service management team on the formulation of audit strategy and planning.
• Being proactive in undertaking business development activities, for example (but not limited to) networking, attending and speaking at seminars/conferences, writing articles for the public services blog, etc.
• Assisting with business development by working with audit colleagues in other Mazars offices and colleagues in other service lines.
• Leading and supervising an audit team, allocating work to team members and ensuring the team complete to work to quality standards and in a timely manner.
• Providing on the job training to assistants and seniors.
• Managing and controlling audit assignments from planning through to finalisation of reports in line with agreed timescales.
• Controlling time spent and monitoring actual time with the budget.
• Considering the needs and skills of those under supervision organising tasks and responsibilities.
• Managing and/or participating in the programme of formal and on-the-job training/development of internal auditors/trainee internal auditors.
• Reviewing the work of seniors and providing informal feedback throughout the fieldwork stage.
• Acting as a point of contact for both partner/director and client, ensuring both are kept fully informed of any issues arising and the progress of the audit.
• Building strong working relationships with the client, ensuring any problems or requests are dealt with promptly.
• Showing vision and strategic perspective focusing on the achievement of longer term goals.
• Responding to client needs within Ethical Standards.
• Ensuring clients are billed according to agreed billing plans.
• Identifying and capitalising on opportunities and prospects for new work. Person Specification
• Qualified accountant - CIPFA, ACA, ACCA, CA (or equivalent) with significant post qualification experience (essential)
• Experience of managing the delivery of external audit to public sector bodies under the NAO Code of Audit Practice or the Audit Commission Code (essential)
• Essential experience should include local government and NHS (including NHS foundation trusts)
• Experience of pitching for new work
• Not essential but useful: o Experience of external audit of central government departments and academies o Experience of delivering internal audit o Experience of delivering non-audit services
• As the position involves client contact, the person must be able to present a professional image to the firm's clients
• Experience of managing teams
• Excellent written and oral presentation skills required
• A desire to help grow and develop the business
• Ability to develop new initiatives and methodologies
• Ability to identify issues through sound analysis and application of commercial acumen in all situations
• Ability to express ideas with authority and conviction throughout verbal and written communication
• Ability to develop self and others Please CLICK HERE to download the job description. About Mazars Mazars is all about people - we believe that each individual makes a difference to the Mazars culture. As an international firm with strong European roots, we are a melting pot of different cultures and disciplines. Diversity is one of our main strengths. We are an international, integrated, transparent and independent organisation specialising in audit, accountancy, tax, legal, and advisory services. The Group has a presence over 80 countries and draws on the expertise of 17,000 professionals. We all work within a culture of high support and high challenge at Mazars. We are not afraid to take on new and greater responsibilities. But we do this through encouragement - not pressure and competition. Mazars LLP is an equal opportunities employer and all applications received by the firm will be considered by the firm on the basis of their merit alone and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of background. All offers of employment will be conditional on the candidate having/securing the right to work in the UK and providing the firm with evidence of that right (as required by the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006) prior to employment commencing.