Posting Title Accountant IV Job Requisition Number COA090878 Position Number 118735 Job Type Full-Time Division Name Av - Finance Minimum Qualifications
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to accounting, twenty-four (24) college semester hours in accounting plus four (4) years of accounting experience.
- One (1) year of experience as lead or supervisor.
- A Master's degree in Accounting or Business Administration may substitute for one (1) year of accounting experience.
- A CPA may substitute for the required four-year degree.
Licenses or Certifications:
- None. Notes to Applicants
POSITION OVERVIEW :
This position is in the Finance Division - Revenue Accounting Section and will be responsible for coordinating, reviewing, approving, and providing critical financial information/documentation to management on the Airport's lease revenue by reviewing, preparing, researching, and analyzing contracts, complex financial transactions, spreadsheets, schedules, reconciliations, statements, and reports. One of the primary responsibilities of this position will be to coordinate the implementation of Governmental Accounting Standards Board ( GASB ) accounting standards for the Airport by compiling and consolidating required information from various sources, working with other City departments and outside stakeholders, and developing processes and procedures to ensure accurate, consistent, and timely reporting in accordance with the standard. This position will be responsible for supervising up to 4 accounts receivable team members in the Revenue Accounting Section.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
A skills assessment will be required for this position.
ON- CALL / CALL BACK RESPONSIBILITIES :
Position may require on-call or call back responsibilities.
APPLICATION INFORMATION :
- A detailed and complete employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position.
- Please list your complete employment history, to include all job duties, responsibilities and employment dates on your online application.
- The application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered (i.e., "see resume" or "see LinkedIn profile").
- Resumes will not be used to qualify for the position and will not be used to recommend salary.
- Supplemental information or changes to your application will not be accepted after the job posting closes.
- The responses to the supplemental questions inquiring about experience should be reflected on your application.
Veteran candidates will be required to provide a copy of their DD214 at the time of interview.
CRIMINAL HISTORY BACKGROUND CHECK :
Top candidate will be subject to a minimum 10 year criminal background check and security threat assessment.
GOOD STANDING - DEPARTMENT / DIVISION POSTINGS :
Employees, in Good Standing, who are candidates within the department/division that the position resides in and who meet the minimum and preferred qualifications (if any) of the position will be included in the initial interview. Department/division employee must remain in Good Standing through the Top Candidate Selection phase at which time the Good Standing status will be re-verified.
Must have the ability to read, write, and fluently speak in English.
Overtime may be required with or without notice.
WORK HOURS :
Shift may change according to departmental needs. Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekend work.
DEPARTMENT MAY CLOSE THE JOB POSTING AT ANY TIME AFTER 7 DAYS
$37.14 - $47.35
Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Hours may change depending on departmental needs.
Work hours may include after-hours, holidays, and weekend work.
Job Close Date 02/15/2024 Type of Posting External Department Aviation Regular/Temporary Regular Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable Category Professional Location Austin - Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) Preferred Qualifications
- Certified Public Accountant ( CPA ) License or the ability to obtain within six (6) months of employment.
- Experience with accounting and financial reporting of leases in accordance with Financial Accounting Standards Board ( FASB ) and/or Governmental Accounting Standards Board ( GASB ) guidance
- Experience identifying, developing, analyzing and implementing processes & procedures
- Experience compiling and analyzing large volumes of data
- Ability to travel to more than one work location Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Provides coordination and oversees the collections of revenue and/or processing of customer payments; analysis, and clearing of delinquent accounts; notifying customers of insufficient payments; calculating/assessing delinquent fines/fees, etc.
- Prepares complex financial statements for external reporting or financial reports by preparing and/or overseeing the preparation of complex balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements, and reports; collecting, analyzing, and summarizing general ledger account information and trends; applying advanced skills and knowledge of accounting and reporting requirements of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, GAAP .
- Prepares audit work papers for annual external audit or special audit by preparing, reviewing, and/or overseeing the preparation of complex supporting work papers for assigned area(s); providing explanations of City policy and procedures and responding to auditor questions and requests for information in a timely and accurate manner.
- Carries out complex projects by researching new accounting standards and related reporting/ information requirements, organizing/summarizing research results, and presenting recommendations to management for timely implementation in the City's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report.
- Maintains accounting ledgers by posting/reviewing and/or approving the posting of account transactions; ensuring transactions are processed in accordance with GAAP , City policy, applicable laws and regulations, and sound business practices.
- Leads reconciliation of general ledger and/or bank accounts and resolves account discrepancies by reconciling and/or reviewing the reconciliation of statements and transactions and investigating documentation; issuing stop payments, payments, or adjustments, and by facilitating discrepancy resolutions for other accounting staff members.
- Assists departments and other internal or external customers by drafting procedural, financial, and/or other information and guidance with automated or manual accounting systems.
- Provides guidance and direction through the review of asset, liability, inventory, and/or capital accounting entries as prepared by internal/ external department staff, and provides City-wide accounting software training or proctors Continuing Professional Education ( CPE ) classes.
- Assesses internal accounting controls for effectiveness; presents procedural recommendations to management; maintains financial security by documenting the established internal accounting controls.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- Provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Advanced knowledge of internal control systems.
- Advanced knowledge of financial reporting in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles, GAAP .
- Advanced knowledge of financial reporting concepts and preferred business practices.
- Knowledge of manual and automated financial systems.
- Knowledge of the preparation process of complex financial statements and reports in conformity with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Skill in classifying complex fiscal data and compiling fund level statements and reports.
- Skill in effective verbal and written communications.
- Skill in managing and processing large volumes of financial transaction data.
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial records.
- Skill in utilizing personal computer.
- Skill in designing and maintaining complex spreadsheets and data bases utilizing word processing software.
- Ability to prepare accurate and complex financial reports and statements.
- Ability to resolve problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgement.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public. Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) ###-#### or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.