The Foundation for the National Institutes of Health (FNIH) is seeking a Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis to provide financial, strategic, and administrative leadership to the Strategic Alliances and Advancement (SAA) department. SAA is responsible for all FNIH fundraising for Public-Private Partnerships. The SAA departments works with life science companies, foundations, and benefactors. In addition to fundraising, the SAA group manages a multi-million dollar active project portfolio that includes fellowship, training, conferences, and other philanthropic initiatives.
The position will provide financial planning and analysis for this expanding area within the FNIH. Work responsibilities include projections, budgeting, and monitoring fundraising initiatives and the SAA program portfolio. The Manager will evaluate fundraising efforts to gauge return on investment on particular initiatives. This position will also coordinate and analyze monthly operating and program results, both revenue and expenses, and identifying/investigating variances. This position will prepare as needed a variety of operational and financial reports and spreadsheets to share with departmental and Finance leadership. This position is also responsible for coordinating the preparation of and reviewing the annual year end projection/budget submissions with department leadership. The position will be the primary financial liaison between the Finance and SAA teams and will work closely with key stakeholders in these areas.
Work will be conducted under the supervision of the Vice President, Controller at the FNIH offices located in North Bethesda, Maryland.Primary Responsibilities of the Manager:
Budgeting and Financial Analysis
- Lead budget roll-up activities for SAA departments and programs, including unrestricted and restricted revenue, as well as SAA-managed programs and Science Partnerships programs, monitoring budget projections and deviations from projections for the multiyear projects within a portfolio.
- In conjunction with SAA team members, maintain and prepare a revenue dashboard on the various SAA fundraising activities.
- Track and monitor progress on various fundraising initiatives, including expenses and dollars raised.
- Guide project managers in development of project budgets to ensure consistent formatting and easier roll-up reporting on project budgets. Where appropriate, utilize the FNIH's SmartStream project budgeting system.
- Prepare financial due diligence report on potential new corporate partners for the FNIH's public-private partnerships.
- Develop, direct, and manage financial analysis and budgeting to ensure policies and practices are within established guidelines.
- Oversee the development of monthly budget-to-actual reports to identify and analyze significant variances.
- Review results and variances with stakeholders in conjunction with key members of the FNIH Leadership team.
Communications, Collaboration, & Business Process Improvement
- Coordinate budget information with program staff for annual FNIH Budget and Projection exercise.
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate, and communicate with individuals and groups at all levels within and outside the organization.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills with the ability to tailor communications to various audiences.
- Ability to learn quickly and make decisions independently to meet tight deadlines.
- Demonstrate keen attention to detail and have strong organizational skills.
- Contribute to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
- Contribute to the overall success of the SAA department by maintaining a professional demeanor and appropriate levels of confidentiality.
- Proactively identify areas of improvement to meet the needs of a dynamic organization.