Our Vision is to be the UK's leading innovator of resource recovery and recycling, transforming waste for a climate-positive future.
Are you someone who lives and breathes high performance, leads with ambition, and would like to be part of an organisation that looks after tomorrow? Viridor has a redefined purpose, a bold new Vision, and an ambitious, market-leading strategy. We are investing in the future, and we need a talented team with exceptional people, who believe in each other, to help us achieve this.
Join us, as we rise to the challenge and build a world where nothing goes to waste
Viridor is at the forefront of waste management and resource recovery in the UK, operating the largest network of Energy Recovery Facilities (ERFs). We play a crucial role in supporting the UK's climate goals by diverting waste from landfills and transforming it into valuable energy resources.
We have an opportunity at our ERF in Glasgow for a Cost Controller to join our team working 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday on a 6 month Fix Term Contract.
The salary for this role will be circa £50,000 per year and participation in an annual bonus scheme, in addition to our great range of benefits.
The closing date for applications is 22nd February 2023. We encourage all applicants to apply as soon as possible as we may close vacancies early if we receive a high number of applications.
About the role
As our Cost Controller at Viridor, you will be instrumental in optimising our financial processes and ensuring effective cost control measures. We are looking for a detail-oriented individual who is prepared to 'deep dive' into our purchase requisitioning, PO process, and procurement cost coding. Your role will involve coordinating the cost approvals process, conducting rigorous cost variance analysis (Actual v Budget), and generating robust monthly forecasts. Your expertise will enable us to gain a comprehensive understanding of our financial cost control over site operations and drive long-term process improvements.
- Enhance purchase requisitioning and PO processes based on best practices.
- Strengthen procurement cost coding and monitor it effectively to enable precise cost variance analysis and accurate monthly forecasts.
- Coordinate the cost approvals process, ensuring a streamlined and efficient workflow.
- Collaborate closely with site teams, fostering effective relationships and ensuring seamless communication.
- Interface with Budget owners to manage strict cost control while driving continuous process improvement initiatives.
- Demonstrate proactive initiative and take ownership to identify opportunities for improvements, leading to positive changes within the organization.
- Utilise strong data analytical skills to extract valuable insights from financial results.
What are we looking for?
- In-depth understanding of best practice purchase requisitioning PR and PO processes.
- Proficiency in cost coding monitoring and review to facilitate effective cost variance analysis and robust monthly forecasts.
- Experience in financial cost control, driving sustainable long-term process improvements.
- Ability to create and maintain collaborative relationships across site teams.
- Strong interpersonal skills to interface effectively with Budget owners, balancing cost control with continuous process enhancement.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and ownership in identifying areas for improvement and driving positive change.
- Advanced data analytical skills to extract meaningful insights from financial data.
- Demonstrable experience in a relevant financial role within an operational cost or projects environment.
- Proficiency in IT, including Microsoft Suite, with advanced skills in Microsoft Excel (including pivots/lookups).
- Strong analytical skills with exceptional attention to detail and accuracy.
- Effective planning and organizational abilities, ensuring strict deadlines for reporting are met.
- Part qualified or studying towards a professional accounting qualification.
- Candidates with significant industry knowledge and relevant experience (qualified by experience) will also be considered.
To view the profile, which outlines the person specification and list of responsibilities in full, please click here.
How to apply
Click apply at the bottom of the page and you will be asked to create a profile. Make sure you have an up-to-date CV ready!
We are a Great Place to Work
There has never been a more exciting time to join Viridor. Following the acquisition of the business by the global private equity firm, KKR, the core business has been reshaped to focus on our leading UK Energy from Waste portfolio and the development of our growing Polymers Recycling business.
What we can offer you
We invest in our people to reward them for their hard work, and we have a host of company benefits available to you when you join - take a look at our Rewards and Benefits
As an equal opportunities' employer, Viridor is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership.
We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply.