THIS IS AN UNPAID ROLE
The Blockchain & Climate Institute (BCI) is an international volunteers-led think tank supporting and advocating the application of blockchain technology in the global fight against climate change.
We are looking for a passionate VOLUNTEER
who will be responsible for financial decision-making information by collecting, analyzing, investigating, and reporting financial data. Being responsible for the organization’s budget and playing a key role in its financial strategy along with other related financial activities that turn actions into impacts to shape climate policy on a global platform.
Our Data PolicyYour responsibilities will include:
• Working with members of the Accounting Unit to understand the accounting process and the postings made to the general ledger;
• Having a detailed understanding of the organization’s activities and its ongoing and pipeline projects along with their financial dynamics;
• Building good relationships across the organization and working with colleagues to better understand financial performance;
• Being responsible for formulating a credible budget that is accepted across the organization, and against which the organization can assess its financial performance;
• Reporting financial performance against budget to the Director-General or his representatives in a regular and timely fashion;
• Reconciling bank accounts at least monthly, verifying deposits, and addressing inquiries from banks;
• Providing explanations where performance differs to budget and providing re-forecasts and trend and scenario analysis to business heads as appropriate;
• Providing strategic opportunities that can enable the organization to grow its revenue and control its costs and assisting in their implementation and monitoring;
• Working closely with the Financial Analysts and Auditors (and monitoring their output where appropriate) to achieve the desired output and targets for the Financial Management Unit;
• Ensuring any regulatory returns (e.g. corporation tax, VAT) are submitted accurately and on time;
• Performing other related duties as may be assigned from time to time.RequirementsSkills & Abilities:
General & Specialist Knowledge:
- Excellent communication skills, including exceptional written English, the ability to develop effective working relationships, work flexibly across professional and operational boundaries, and communicate professionally with internal and external stakeholders at all levels;
- Proven ability to lead, develop and motivate a team;
- Proven ability to effectively multitask and prioritize work;
- Excellent problem-solving skills;
- Excellent attention to detail and proactive attitude.
Education & Training:
- Strong financial management expertise is essential for this role.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is essential to perform this role;
- Some knowledge of topics central to the BCI such as climate change, climate finance, and blockchain technology preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or international professional qualification in accounting required; preferably with a professional qualification.
BenefitsWhat difference will you make?
- Proven experience working in Financial Analysis, Planning, and Budgeting, or any similar role is essential, ideally acquired in a not-for-profit environment;
- Experience in building constructive relationships with stakeholders;
- Experience in working independently and with teams to drive forward projects using own initiative;
- Previous experience within an international NGO is desirable but not a requirement;
- Experience in formulating budgets, financial planning, and strategy in a corporate environment;
- Highly proficient with Excel Spreadsheets;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or similar software.
Blockchain and other emerging technologies. Climate change and sustainability. These are two hot topic groups that have been headlining media outlets, dominating conferences & events, and gaining increasing traction in research and pilot projects. BCI is here as an expert platform to help governments, inter-governmental and regional organizations as well as relevant corporates to negotiate the complex landscape of emerging technologies for environmental good. We cement our expertise by putting in the hard work in researching, identifying, and analyzing the applications of emerging technologies so that informed decisions can be made by the stakeholders in the climate change and action network.Benefits you will get from volunteering with BCI are enormous and some include:
- You will hone or learn new skills including research, presentation, writing, professional etiquette,
- Your mind will be mentally stimulated, hence providing you with a sense of purpose;
- You will advance and boost your professional career by helping you to make professional connections and giving you real-world experience at the intersection between climate and emerging technologies; and
- Help you develop long-lasting professional relationships with others. People who come together to make the world a better place forge a close connection.
As a voluntary organization, we are pleased to open the door for candidates who may not have the prior experience they need to start, progress, or switch their careers. To recruit the most suitable, talented, or potential new members out of the volume of applications received, it is the BCI’s policy to also consider inexperienced candidates to fill our voluntary unpaid roles as long as they can demonstrate the skills required in the written assessment. In the selection process, most candidates will be invited to complete the following assessment.
Section A: Verbal and Numerical Reasoning (20 multiple-choice questions)
Section B: Situation Judgement Test (20 multiple-choice questions)
Section C: In-Tray Exercise (An open-ended assessment relevant to the duties of the role)
Candidates who pass all three sections will be invited to attend a phone screening, first interview, and final interview online.