Debt is the world's largest asset class, and it operates with the worst technology: trillions of dollars of trades are placed over the phone, news is slow, and information is scattered.
Our mission is to change this. 9fin's proprietary technology delivers fast and comprehensive news, data, and analysis on all aspects of corporate debt, from company financials through to credit analysis, legal documentation and ESG.
We enable our clients to make faster and better-informed decisions, helping them win more business and save time. Our fast-growing list of clients include 9 of the top 10 investment banks, as well as leading asset managers, hedge funds and law firms.
9fin is seeking a senior reporter to join our European team covering the distressed debt and restructuring market.
We’re looking for an experienced journalist with an existing source-base and a track record of breaking news, who will relish the opportunity to delve into all of the fascinating stories as the new UK insolvency regime and EU Directive on restructuring are tested across the continent.
If you can follow this fast-paced market while maintaining best-in-class editorial standards and collaborating with our team of reporters, analysts, and lawyers, we want to work with you.
What you'll work on
Every day is different, but here’s an example of the kind of things you’ll work on:
- Breaking news - You’ll be part of a team that regularly breaks stories on what’s going on in distressed debt, from deteriorating company earnings all the way through to messy out-of-court restructurings
- Feature-writing - You’ll know how to write longer-form articles that connect the dots between daily news and broader market trends
- Generating ideas - You’ll provide a consistent stream of new ideas, whether that’s identifying new situations to cover, or thinking up new ways to cover them
- Monitoring markets - You’ll learn to harness our technology to identify new opportunities, ensuring that 9fin’s coverage of the distressed market is timely and comprehensive
This role will be a great fit if you are:
- Experienced - 2+ years reporting on debt markets
- Personable - Inquisitive and outgoing, always making new connections and sharing ideas
- Organised - Able to maintain a deep network of sources, as well as story pipeline and deadlines
- Communicative - Clear and concise in your written and verbal language, and able to explain complex ideas in simple terms
- Judicious - Committed to providing detailed and accurate information, and able to strike the right balance between urgency and perfection
- Driven - Endlessly curious, self-motivated, and passionate about doing a good job
We’re a scaling start up and we enjoy sharing our success, when the company succeeds, we always reinvest that in our people. We also offer huge amounts of responsibility, an abundance of opportunity for growth and a platform to truly excel.
Financial & Insurance
- Competitive Salary (our salary bands are benchmarked at the top end of the market)
- Equity options
- Pension (your minimum contributions are 4% with 9fin matching up to 7%)
- Private medical insurance
- Paid sick leave with income protection for long periods of illness
- Group Life Assurance
- Season ticket loan & cycle to work schemes
- 25 holiday days per year
- Local public holidays (with the ability to exchange them for alternative days)
- Hybrid working model, to allow you the flexibility to decide how, where and when you do your best work
- Work abroad for up to 3 months a year
- 1 month paid sabbatical after 5 years of service
- Enhanced parental leave & flexible working arrangements available
Training & Culture
- Professional learning and development budget
- Quarterly team socials
- Summer and Winter company social events
9fin is an equal opportunities employer
Don’t meet every single requirement? At 9fin we are dedicated to building a fair and inclusive workplace where everyone can reach their potential and truly belong. Diverse teams provide the most creative and productive environments - so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t *perfectly* align, we encourage you to apply anyway. You just might be exactly who we’re looking for.