Mayer Brown is a leading global law firm with offices in 27 key business centres across the Americas, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. With approximately 200 lawyers in each of the world’s three largest financial centres - New York, London and Hong Kong - we are uniquely positioned to advise leading companies and financial institutions on their most complex legal needs. We have deep experience in high-stakes litigation and complex transactions across industry sectors, including our signature strength, the global financial services industry.
We are a collegial, collaborative and diverse firm where highly motivated individuals with an unwavering commitment to excellence receive the opportunity, support and development they need to grow, thrive and realise their greatest potential. We also encourage all our people to use their skills to support the wider community through our pro bono and community volunteering programmes. At Mayer Brown the principles of mutual respect, dignity and understanding are central to the way we work and help to provide an environment where diversity and inclusion are embraced.
The Department: Finance - Operations Purpose of the role:
The role is responsible for managing the billing function for the firm’s London office, which also incorporates the firm’s Brussels, Dubai and Tokyo offices, creating a centre of excellence.
This is a proactive role seeking to achieve full statutory compliance with VAT, AML and the SRA Accounts Rules, as well as adherence to internal financial controls and policies in relation to all transactions and processes. The role is to drive through change and deliver a best in class service to the firm and its clients.
You will also be responsible for developing the billing functions and its team members. You will be involved in day to day transactional work but also project work; testing and reviewing current and new processes and procedures. The Billing Manager will work closely alongside the Head of Financial Operations and the Firm’s Revenue Manager to set and achieve key billing and performance targets for the business.
Hours: 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with flexibility in accordance with the needs of the business. Happy to talk flexible working.
Duties will include (but are not restricted to):
Experience, skills and personal attributes:Experience:
- Leading and managing team members and workloads within the Billing Team; resource planning, recruitment, training, performance feedback (day to day and formal appraisals), managing delivery, addressing staff matters, supporting and developing all team members.
- Working closely with the firm’s Partners to ensure the team deliver accurate and timely entry of all billing transactions in accordance with internal and client service level agreements.
- Work with the Head of Financial Operations and the respective International Partners and office managers to ensure the prompt delivery of their billing requirements.
- Build on key client / Partner relationships to understand billing arrangements to develop invoice efficiency.
- Produce and circulate key billing data (WIP, performance metrics, targets) to pro-actively drive billing performance.
- Work with Revenue Manager to drive the full recovery of WIP and ensuring key performance targets are achieved.
- Develop communication and understanding of billing best practice throughout the business by leading on regular Finance Committee meetings, Partner meetings, department meetings and workshops.
- To develop streamlined billing operations (standard bill, ebilling, multi-payor, composite, international bills) to meet the requirements of our internal and external clients.
- Pro-actively engage with wider business on process improvements. Continually gathering feedback and improving the customer experience.
- Review PMS processes, drive change working with the global accounts function.
- Continually review and identify process improvement opportunities and leading on the delivery once adequate consultation has been completed and agreed.
- Work with business divisions to understand and compliment the client/matter set-up (client SLAs, outside counsel guidelines, jurisdictions, tax, charge-rates, budgets, billing cycles).
- Document and keep up to date all processes and systems which, at all times, provide easily accessible reference for both internal and external audits.
- Identify any potential issues before they arise internally and externally and deliver solutions.
- Ensure all respective financial controls and the firm’s policies and procedures are adhered to at all times.
- Undertake certain key tasks and provide support for the day to day activities.
- Work closely with all Accounts departments and ensure communication lines are open and effective.
- Ensure service levels and quality of work are maintained to the highest standards.
- Ensuring strict deadlines are met at month and year-end.
- Maximise efficiency and level of service provided
- A minimum of 5 years legal finance experience in a similar role.
- Experience of managing a team in a busy environment, dealing with a high volume/value transactions.
- Experience in managing projects and successful implementation.
- Extensive experience in legal finance processes and procedures.
- A demonstrable thorough knowledge of statutory regulation such as; VAT, AML SRA Accounts Rules.
- Experience of Aderant / Elite preferable.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written - ability to communicate with people at all levels within the firm.
- Professional manner at all times.
- Confident and respected leader.
- Ability to work under pressure and met strict deadlines.
- Pro-active and hard-working approach.
- Personable, able and willing to work as part of a team.
- Reliable and well organized.
- Questioning mentality.
- Adaptable and flexible.
- Ability to use own initiative
At Mayer Brown, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment that offers our people the opportunity and support they need to succeed. We are therefore happy to discuss any reasonable adjustments that individuals may require throughout the recruitment process and once they have joined the Firm.
In addition, one of our core values at Mayer Brown is to promote diversity and inclusion at all levels within the business which is actively supported by our diversity networks - LGBT+, Fusion (Race and Ethnicity), Women, Enable (Disability), and Work and Me (Family).