Working to the Head of Financial Operations this post will be responsible for ensuring the Payroll Service operates the processes and procedures required to ensure there is adequate financial control and to efficiently deliver the Payroll Services.
They will ensure the on-going operation of the service in an effective and efficient manner and its compliance with legislative and Council Policy.
It will be important that they develop strong relationships with a range of services/organisations including the HR Service, the Pension Service and the external Bodies for whom the payroll service provides payroll services.
1. To act as the Council’s lead officer on the operational aspects of the Council’s Payroll Service’s process and procedures. It is essential that they maintain current knowledge of the area of responsibility.
2. To work with colleagues across the Council and external bodies to ensure that the systems and processes within the Service are operated in a manner that they are compliant with legislation and Council policy and deliver the service in the most efficient manner.
3. To ensure that over 10,000 staff are paid (in excess of £200m) accurately and in a timely manner.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. To ensure that the work of the service is coordinated and delivered in an efficient manner, setting clear objectives for the service. This includes ensuring that over 10,000 staff are paid accurately and on time and the Council meets its statutory requirements including all information returns to HMRC.
2. To ensure the operation of the sound financial controls required under financial procedures is embedded within the operation of the service. This includes appropriate levels of authorisations are followed.
3. To ensure within the Operational Service that feedback on queries and initial complaints are dealt with in a professional manner.
4. Ensure the Payroll Services is provided in accordance with the Council’s commitment to high quality service provision to users.
5. To be aware of relevant accounting and taxation legislation affecting payroll, and ensure they are being applied correctly in the operational environment.