The brand with the brolly is choosing today to change tomorrow. Since 1836, we’ve grown to become one of the world's largest asset managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurance brands.
We’re all here to improve the lives of our customers, build a better society for the long term, and create value for our shareholders - helping to shape a better future for society and the planet.
We need people who share our ambitions, agility and entrepreneurial spirit to help us do it.Your role at a glance
The L&G Accounting internship is an 8-week programme, starting in July and finishing in August, during which you will develop your skill set and gain valuable insights and work experience to ultimately decide if a graduate role in this area of the business would interest you.
Please note, this role is based in our Hove office.
This internship is a pipeline for our Accounting Graduate Programme (although successful completion of the summer programme does not guarantee that a graduate role is available). It’s an ideal opportunity for someone looking to gain accounting experience before applying to our graduate scheme; please consider whether you are truly interested in Accounting before making your application.
As part of a cohort of interns, you will also have the opportunity to connect with your peers and colleagues though our Future Talent induction, networking opportunities and social events. Joining L&G is the beginning to a future that will be anything but familiar. So take a closer look, get involved, be curious and find out how we will enable you to be at your best no matter who you are.
Please note, we can only accept 1 application per person across all of our intern programmes. Therefore, please think carefully about the programme you intend to apply for because your first application will be considered as your only application.
We recruit on a rolling basis and expect this vacancy to close before the deadline. To be in with the best chance of securing a role, please submit your application ASAP Job description
Accounting is central to ensuring a profitable, well run insurance business and your work will support the success of a FTSE 100 company. As part of the internship, you could be placed with any of our accounting teams across Group, LGIM or Legal & General Capital in functions such as Tax, Treasury, Audit, Financial Reporting, Risk Analytics and Expense and Ledger Management.
Over the course of the internship, you will have the chance to interact with different teams, hear from senior speakers and network with your fellow interns. Some of the day-to-day activities could include:
- Supporting the delivery of financial information, reporting and advice (both external and management information (MI) and reporting) and ensuring appropriate financial reporting, MI, process and systems are in place to provide support to other business areas so that customers are treated fairly, in line with Legal & General’s Customer Experience and Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) policy.
- Accurate record keeping in the ledger and daily process records, and timely and accurate filing and storage.
- Preparation of the reporting and MI required for internal and external regulatory reporting, audit and compliance.
- Build and maintain excellent working relationships and communications with other parts of the business to ensure delivery of effective processes and procedures.
- Understanding the key risk exposures for different types of life insurance products, i.e. the drivers of capital for different types of assets or liabilities.
- Perform, under guidance, the tasks necessary to enable the continuous improvement of the team’s financial reporting systems, processes and actuarial reporting methodologies. Ad hoc finance support on group projects as they arise.
- End to end forecast and planning process, including Business Partnering discussions with cost centre managers to agree plan assumptions and agreeing revisions of assumption as part of a formal re-forecast.
- Building MI to have insight to better serve our customers as well as identifying strengths/weaknesses in our business.
But most importantly you will be learning new skills and gaining knowledge of how our business works!Qualifications
What we're looking for
We are looking for people with an inquisitive mind and a desire to learn. We’re not expecting prior industry experience, but we’ll want to see that you have the tools to develop quickly. These include:
- Currently an undergraduate, in your penultimate year of study and on track to receive a 2:1 in your degree subject (ideally in a numerate subject.
- If you are applying from a non-numerate subject, an A level in Maths is highly advantageous
- Strong numerical skills as well as knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Someone flexible who is also a team-player
- Great communication skills
- A highly organised individual, who has the ability to prioritise effectively
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Your hard work will be rewarded when you join us.