Fastmarkets is an independent commodity pricing and information organisation with over 500 staff. We are fuelled by values that bring us all together and are united by a collective passion to make a difference. We are supported by a working model that is based on a hybrid approach that allows each of us to balance home and office working while encouraging effective collaboration and accountability.
Fastmarkets is the most trusted Price Reporting Agency (PRA) in the metals, mining, agriculture, forest products, and energy transition markets. Our price data, forecasts, and market analyses give our customers strategic advantage in complex, volatile, often opaque markets. Our events provide forums for market participants to come together, trade, and talk through the critical issues of our times.
We are making a difference. Fastmarkets works to create transparent commodity markets through our reliable and trusted price data and market intelligence. The markets we serve are central to how economies work and are essential for our lives. By doing this, Fastmarkets helps our customers build a more sustainable world. We are built on a 130-year foundation while bringing a digital platform to market, combining the currency of trust with the power of digital.
Most importantly, we are fuelled by our teams that, across the globe, making the amazing possible. With a deep sense of purpose and belonging, we are building an extraordinary future - together. If you would like to help build the future, we hope you will join us on our journey.
Fastmarkets was founded in 1913 (as Metal Bulletin) and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by global private equity firm Astorg, a specialist investor in healthcare, software, technology, business services and technology-based industrial companies.About the Role
We’re looking for a Group Financial Controller to lead and inspire the Finance Operations, Finance Accounting and Reporting, Tax compliance and Finance Transformation teams to deliver better customer experiences and improved efficiencies.
You will have the experience, ability and gravitas to grip complex, material and critical issues independently.
It is critical that the candidate can demonstrate not only a high standard of technical capability, but they must also possess strong leadership and good communication skills.
The main aspects to this role are:
- Responsible for management of Finance Control and Tax, Finance Operations Hub, Audit, Finance Systems continuous improvements
- Responsible for maintaining and developing a high quality and optimal financial control environment across the organisation
- Responsible for managing the relationship with Internal audit, External audit, Tax advisors / authorities.
- Design, develop and implement the target operating model for Finance Controls function for Fastmarkets and supports the development of business strategic priorities both short and long term to ensure the business delivers the objectives.
- Gain the trust of the Executive Leadership teams and heads of Business and being able to positively influence business decisions, will challenge established thinking and develop and provide an independent perspective.
- Coaches, develops talent and drives high performing teams
- Together with the Director of Commercial Finance, act as deputy to CFO when needed and providing strategic support to the role
Financial Reporting & Control
- Ensuring management accounting activities adhere to group accounting policies, processes, procedures and controls delivering reporting on a timely and accurate basis
- Accountable for monthly reporting P&L of items beneath EBITDA and Group Balance Sheet and Group Cash Flow
- Deliver enhanced Fastmarkets balance sheet and cash flow reporting
- Responsible for all Internal Financial Controls and Risk Management
- Responsible for the relationship and delivery of outsourced global tax and local accounting provision
Finance Operations Hub
- Management of the Finance Operations Hub in Bulgaria and local transactional processing centres including:
- End-to-end order to cash process
- Accounts Payable
- Ensure the Transaction processing teams have excellent relations with all key internal and external customers and understand their needs, and respond to them promptly with a high level of customer service
- Design and implement key controls on customer data governance
- Be a thought leader on finance continuous improvement and develop strong relationships with the group wide continuous program
- Responsible for directing the finance transformation agenda and roadmap, this will could cover a range of areas across processes, people and systems
- Lead transformation teams to deliver in line with the agreed timeline and budget
- Accountability for the completion of the year end processes for all Group companies and subsidiaries.
- Accountability for the production of statutory accounts for all Group companies and subsidiaries
- Accountability for all internal and external audit matters ensuring full support to the Board / Audit Committee and prompt follow-up and implementation of recommendations
- Point of contact between the organisation and its auditors, as well as other external advisors
- Maintain an ongoing program to reduce the numbers of corporate entities in the Group
- Responsible for acquisition / disposal accounting post M&A deal completions
- Responsible for delivering carve outs and disposals in efficient and optimal manner
We recruit talented, dynamic people with diverse backgrounds and experiences, all united by a belief in our mission to provide the world’s leading and most trusted price reporting, events, and intelligence service for the markets we serve. We’re proud to be an equal opportunities employer and are committed to creating a fully inclusive workplace, where everyone feels able to participate and contribute meaningfully. You must be open-minded, curious, resilient, and solutions-oriented, and committed to promoting equality.
We are looking for an individual who is highly motivated, driven, and have a passion to be part of a fast-paced, successful team. Being a strong team player is also important as well as someone who is happy to work flexibly.
- Qualified accountant (at least 5 years post qualified experience)
- Experience of building, leading and developing medium sized teams in a financial controller role across international landscape
- Proven track record of initiating and implementing change
- Proven track record of improving controls environment
- Good understanding of and experience with IFRS
- Experience presenting and liaising with audit committee
- Proven M&A track record
- Good understanding of subscription and data business models for information services (desirable)
- Experience working in a private equity owned environment (desirable)
- Flexible ‘Can do’ mentality with a dynamic and visible work ethic
- Proactive, self-motivated, low ego style team player
- People person with good Emotional Intelligence who can motivate and inspire a wide range of differently skilled team members
- A detail orientated person with a passion to continuously improve processes/systems and optimise the “engine room” of finance
- Ability to prioritise effectively, react quickly and work under pressure and to deadlines
If you're excited about the role but your experience, skills or qualifications don't perfectly align, we encourage you to apply anyway.Our Values
Fastmarkets people come from all different walks of life. It’s this mix of brilliant personalities, experiences and insights that gives us that warm, open, and friendly culture you can feel as soon as you meet us. But however wonderfully different we all are, there are six things we all have in common - and they form our Fastmarkets values.
Created by our own employees to reflect some of the personal traits that Fastmarkets people have, our values are key to what makes our culture unique. They reflect who each of us are and they're embedded in everything we do.Our values are:
You’ve read a little about us - now it’s over to you!
- METRICS DRIVEN. We use insights to improve our customers’ experience and our business performance
- ACCOUNTABLE. We are accountable to ourselves and those we work with: we keep our promises and get things done
- GROWTH MINDSET. This value enables us to be nimble to the changing realities and operate with a sense of urgency
- INCLUSIVE. We are inclusive and respectful, celebrating each of us and giving everyone a deep sense of belonging with the desire to bring their best self to work every day.
- CUSTOMER CENTRIC. We are customer-centric in all that we do
- COLLABORATIVE. We are collaborative, able to work across teams and capitalise on the diversity of intellect, perspectives, and experiences.
If you like what you’ve read so far and think you can see yourself as a Fastmarkets person, it’s time to fill in your application form. This form is an important part of the selection process: it’s used to determine whether or not you’ll be chosen to have an interview and acts as a basis for the questions we’ll ask you on the day. It’s vital that you try to capture all the relevant information we have asked for on the form so we can get a good feel for who you are and why you’re great.
London, UKContract type: full-time, permanent (hybrid)Package: Competitive Salary + Bonus & Great Benefits