Who are we?
South Western Railway (SWR) operates over 1,500 services each weekday across the network and employs more than 5,000 people. We provide easy and convenient mobility, connecting people and communities in South West London, southern counties of England, and the Isle of Wight.
Join our team and help us continue to improve quality of life, by bringing people together to get the most out of life.
SWR is part of FirstGroup, the largest rail operator in the UK and second largest bus operator in the UK outside London. FirstGroup operates services throughout the UK and Ireland, with over 30,000 employees providing services that make travel smoother and life easier. FirstGroup works hard to reduce its impact on the environment, introducing cleaner and more environmentally responsible methods of transport.
About the job
The post holder will be responsible for managing a wide range of regulatory interfaces, delivering compliance and maximum value from a portfolio of industry contracts held by South Western Railway (SWR) in relation to its access and leasing arrangements.
The position reports to the Head of Industry Partnerships and forms a key part of the team that leads the Portfolio of Regulated Agreements. Working alongside the Regulatory Access Manager and the Track Access Manager, the post holder will deliver efficient contract management and provide regulatory expertise to business stakeholders. The post holder will administer a range of contract and lease arrangements for SWR, achieving contractual compliance and best value in accordance with the industry framework and franchise obligations. The role has a strong commercial focus, helping deliver key income and recovery streams for SWR, efficiently handling relevant compensation mechanisms, access charging and regulated change processes.
Your main responsibilities will be:
- Act as a key point of contact for commercial and contractual matters for stations and depots, administering various access contracts and leases and providing regulatory expertise to help meet business objectives.
- Support the team in the efficient and compliant delivery of station and depot access requirements, protecting the interest of the business and seeking maximum revenue and savings.
- Procure and manage contractual arrangements with other train operating companies, Network Rail, industry parties and suppliers.
- Implement an efficient and compliant process, working closely with internal stakeholders, in respect of regulatory change processes including where appropriate: Station Change, Depot Change.
- Act as a key interface between SWR, Group Rail division and the Office of Rail & Road (ORR), ensuring application of changes to or introduction of new regulatory policy or regimes governing relevant access contracts.
- Where appropriate liaise with Group Rail division to ensure a coordinated response to relevant ORR or other industry consultations, ensuring any opportunities or risks to SWR in respect of its access contracts are understood.
- Work with relevant stakeholders to ensure franchise compliance in respect of Station and Depot Access, supporting the business in delivering its franchise commitments.
- Oversee and ensure timely delivery of the preparation and agreement of depot maintenance claims and other relevant station and industry compensation claims.
- Provide regulatory guidance and expertise to other functions/directorates in respect of access and other contractual matters.
- Work closely with Finance functions to ensure accurate budget / forecasting and financial variance analysis, are delivered in respect of income and expenditure arising from access contracts.
- Provide regular or ad hoc reports on activities, progress and achievements on all relevant workstreams as required.
About the location
South Western Railways HQ is based on the 4th Floor at South Bank Central, a stone's throw from the River Thames and a 10 minute walk from our busiest station, Waterloo. It is local to many well-known attractions, restaurants and retail facilities and is easily accessible by public transport.
Working an average of 37 hours per week over 5 days
Monday to Friday, office hours
Please note that interviews for this position will be held on the 29th February 2024.
In return we offer a competitive salary and a variety of valuable benefits, including:
- Free duty and leisure travel on SWR services for employees
- Free leisure travel for spouse/partner and dependants (criteria dependent)
- 75% discount on many other train operating companies
- Full training and support with development
- Large range of exclusive retail offers
- Excellent pension scheme
We all belong at SWR. FirstGroup's vision is to provide an inclusive environment for all colleagues, across its group of businesses, ensuring all candidates have an equal opportunity to access meaningful employment.
We value our differences such as age, gender, LGBTQIA+, ethnicity, religion, and disability. We maintain a zero tolerance towards any form of prejudice towards our colleagues, customers, and future talent.
We celebrate and encourage diversity of thought, progressive ways of working and seeing all our colleagues grow and thrive.
We review all roles and s to ensure they are accessible and, where possible, we support and provide flexible working options; we recommend that you refer to each vacancy description for further details.
If you require additional support to complete your application due to a disability or neurodivergent condition, for example, dyslexia, dyspraxia, or autism, please follow the links below. We encourage you to share any additional needs you may require so we can provide a fair and equal process for all who apply.