Hello, we're Starling. We built a new kind of bank because we knew technology had the power to help people save, spend and manage their money in a new and transformative way. We're a fully licensed UK bank with the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive tech company. We're a bank, but better: fairer, easier to use and designed to demystify money for everyone. We employ more than 3,000 people across our London, Southampton, Cardiff and Manchester offices.
We are currently seeking experienced individuals to join the role of Complex Business Specialist.
We're on a mission to disrupt financial services. Since we were founded in 2014 Starling Bank has grown to over 3m customers, including nearly 500,000 SME customers. Our customers have deposited over £9bn with us, and we have nearly £4bn in assets. We're ranked number 1 for customer satisfaction in the UK, and intend to continue disrupting the UK market to improve customer experiences in banking. Our free Business Banking proposition is unique and market leading.
As we grow our digital services to UK SMEs and provide a truly revolutionary banking experience, we need a team of business specialists who are able to support our SME customers. This person will lead the SME team's implementation of Starling's supporting corporate structure Business Banking clients. Initially this will be aimed at maximising the retention of existing customers but in the longer-term potentially onboarding new customers.
This role will have both external and internal stakeholders.
About the role:
- Business verification - you oversee the review of established Starling businesses customers. You will ensure that we gain a full understanding of the business which includes risk assessment. The reviews will ensure that Starling's KYB is up to date and decisions which follow are taken in line with our risk appetite.
- Supporting KYC/B remediation, requiring detailed knowledge of complex (corporate) structures including understanding Companies House reporting and verification of ownership.
- You will understand Starling's risk appetite and ensure it is applied in all reviews. This includes challenging the approach to our business relationships and championing changes to policy to enhance the controls within Starling's risk environment, using your knowledge of banking and your customers.
- Through your role you will have a unique insight into our customers enabling you to identify trends & behaviour that you will report into our feedback loops, resulting in further improvements to our proposition, business relationships and due diligence/KYC controls.
Starling Bank supports customers 24/7, 365 days a year. We do this by working as a team. This is a hybrid role based in Manchester with a requirement to travel to this base office each week.
- Be focused on retaining and optimising the Starling's existing Business Banking relationships
- Liaise with internal stakeholders to drive the implementation of Starling's ability to retain more complex and corporate structured business customers. This will include; engineering colleagues in respect of internal platform design and requirements; Information Security, for API feeds from external sources;, Onboarding (Business and Personal), Compliance, MLRO, Banking and Commercial Risk amongst others
- Able to draw own conclusions based on relevant data and make the right decisions, considering both the business and customer outcomes of our decisioning
- Submitting recommendations to Senior Management in relation to the how we can support certain types of business
- Ensure the team undertaking this work are supported through coaching and appropriate training
- Where required, participating in conversations with our Business Banking clients to gain a full understanding of their business
- Supporting colleagues and working with them to ensure that they deepen understanding of the client through proactive risk assessments and customer due diligence reviews
- Have strong understanding of the corporate onboarding process and be hands on in supporting colleagues who oversee the onboarding journey's of new and existing clients.
- Be an SME business expert. Understand business banking, KYB, Starling products, and FinTech movement. Be a subject matter expert
- Understand the wider macro economic landscape impacting businesses and aware of the competitive landscape for businesses in their respective region
- Experience of working in relevant environment/s, i.e. Business/Corporate Banking, Financial Services
- Track record in completing Complex KYC reviews including: understanding corporate ownership involving different share classes, different entity types (such as trusts/nominees/partnerships) with the ability to assess and calculate key controllers within a business. The role will also require an understanding of jurisdiction risk and the implications of offshore ownership.
- Be able to speak confidently to key stakeholders within our businesses, driven by a desire to give a better banking experience whilst balancing the risks.
- You will be supported to offer the best banking service to SMEs and to help them focus on building their business
- You'll be resolute in improving our proposition by working with our colleagues. You will want a chance to make a difference within Starling
- You will care passionately about businesses and want to understand the customers you speak to and the way they have structured their business.
- Meticulous and organised with ability to manage own workload
- You will be a team worker. You will work closely with your team and with colleagues across a number of different areas across the bank.
Our recruitment process:
Interviewing is a two way process and we want you to have the time and opportunity to get to know us, as much as we are getting to know you! Our interviews are conversational and we want to get the best from you, so come with questions and be curious.
Following your application being reviewed, you can expect the below:
Stage 1 - You'll be invited to a call with a member of the Talent Acquisition Team to discuss the role and your experience and answer any questions you may have ahead of an interview.
Stage 2 - A video interview with the team to further explore the technical aspects of the role and your suitability for the position.
Applications for this role will close no later than 12th February 2024.
- 25 days holiday (plus take your public holiday allowance whenever works best for you)
- An extra day's holiday for your birthday
- Annual leave is increased with length of service, and you can choose to buy or sell up to five extra days off
- 16 hours paid volunteering time a year
- Salary sacrifice, company enhanced pension scheme
- Life insurance at 4x your salary & group income protection
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth including mental health support and cancer care. Partner benefits include discounts with Waitrose, Mr&Mrs Smith and Peloton
- Generous family-friendly policies
- Incentives refer a friend scheme
- Perkbox membership giving access to retail discounts, a wellness platform for physical and mental health, and weekly free and boosted perks
- Access to initiatives like Cycle to Work, Salary Sacrificed Gym partnerships and Electric Vehicle (EV) leasing
We're on a mission to radically reshape banking - and that starts with our brilliant team. We know that our bank is only as good as the people who build it. From customer support and engineering to marketing and business development, we're proud to bring together people of all backgrounds and experiences who love working together to solve problems.
You may be put off applying for a role because you don't tick every box. Forget that! While we can't accommodate every flexible working request, we're always open to discussion. So, if you're excited about working with us, but aren't sure if you're 100% there yet, get in touch anyway.
Starling Bank is an equal opportunity employer, and we're proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Starling Bank are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Starling Bank may collect your personal data for recruiting and related purposes. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over our use of your personal information.