An Introduction to Primer
The 21st century has witnessed remarkable expansion within the payments ecosystem with the introduction of new payment services, growth in cross-border commerce, and the development of multi-payment processor payment strategies.
The bottom line is that payment is no longer just another step in the purchasing funnel but a strategic asset that can drive business growth and innovation.
Enter Primer - the world's first unified payment infrastructure, empowering businesses worldwide to unleash their payment potential. By choosing our platform, merchants can take control over their payment stack, create unique commerce experiences, accelerate their roadmap and increase payment success.
Primer's enterprise-grade infrastructure, frameworks, and tooling allow merchants to unify their disparate payment solutions and services to build optimised payment flows tailored to their unique business needs with no code or additional complexity. We strive to make something complex incredibly simple and intuitive.
Our success so far has been reflected in the trust placed in us by category leaders such as Printify, NewLook, Voi, and Dabble, who are using Primer to transform their payments into a growth lever. Moreover, the world's top investors, including Accel, Balderton, Iconiq, and Tencent, have also invested in Primer's vision to rebuild payments and commerce from the ground up.
Join us in shaping the future of payments and commerce. Let's pave the way for a world where businesses can fully realise their payment potential.
What's the role?
Primer is seeking a highly talented and motivated Finance Manager to play a pivotal role in scaling the business and handling complex daily problems.
This is a pivotal role responsible for building a scalable back-office foundation to Primer's growth. This will be a hands-on role encompassing a wide finance scope. You will also build relationships with internal and external stakeholders to ensure effective management and communication of progress
What are the key job responsibilities?
- Build out the accounting function from the ground-up
- Design and implement accounting policy and procedural documentation
- Develop internal control for all key financial processes - Purchase to Pay, Order to Cash, Revenue Recognition, FSCP/closing activities and Payroll.
- Build scalable accounting processes, establish measures of success, set benchmarks and improve timelines and efficiencies to support global growth
- AR collectability process
- Perform and drive monthly, quarterly and yearly close activities, including manual journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations
- Ensure that the company accounts are closed in a timely fashion and in accordance with UK GAAP
- Develop, manage and improve process metrics utilizing automation, lean practices and process optimization to scale
- Producing internal management reporting and external audit support
- Preparing the business for audit and liaising with external parties
- Partner with Revenue Operations, People Ops, Treasury, and/or Legal to investigate issues that arise during reporting cycles
- Create global best practice documentation and facilitate sharing across the organization.
What are we looking for?
- Demonstrable commercial and managerial experience of 10+ years.
- Big 4 exposure to audit, accounting and risk reviews
- Previous exposure with VAT and Tax compliance activities
- Previous experience with Revenue Recognition accounting principles for complex and usage-based B2B contracts
- Qualified and certified accountant and strong understanding of IFRS
- Led Accounting teams in a multi locations set up and exposure to working in multicultural, location and dynamic business environment
- Experience in building and scaling new teams fully remote from the ground-up
- Experience of working with finance systems (e.g. Net Suite)
- Experience in selecting, implementing and on-boarding an ERP
- Acute eye for detail and high working standards
- High integrity and natural desire to assume responsibility.
- Approachable and confident personality type, comfortable within a wide range of organizational environments.
- Highly adaptable in a fast pace changing environment and be able to multitask
- Startup experience in a fully remote environment
- Fintech experience
- Establishing a multi-region (EU/APAC/US) consolidation processes and preparing/reviewing consolidated financial statements, also coordinate local statutory audits
What's the culture like at Primer?
We're building a culture where people can come and do their best work and enjoy it. We want our people to be proud of the impact that they have at Primer, and of the work that they are doing. You will be working with a team of people who are mission-driven, smart, and reflective, and who are invested in building exceptional products and delivering success for our merchants (and we also know how to have fun along the way).
We work remotely. We believe that building a successful, profitable company goes beyond proximity. We invest in our relationships with each other through great remote working practices and thoughtfully designed face-to-face time together. Our heads-together time comes in the form of workstations, our annual company retreat, and co-working space access worldwide.
Finally, let's go ahead and say it. The work that we do is challenging. Startups are a challenge, building category defining products is a challenge. You should be prepared for a challenge at Primer. But, there's a big difference between a challenge and a struggle. The key difference is that the right challenge comes with the right support structures, an acceptance that not everything always goes to plan, a collaborative environment, and a great team around you. It's never a challenge that you will face alone.
We are fully remote
Competitive share options
Uncapped holiday, with 25 days minimum to be taken
Co-working space access
Workations & company retreat
The best equipment for your role
£500 towards your home office setup
Generous learning budget
A broad set of additional perks and benefits (depending on location)
Don't meet every single requirement?
At Primer, we're dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace. If you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the , we encourage you to apply. You may be the right candidate for this or other roles. Primer is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees, regardless of background or beliefs-see our diversity commitment statement for more details
Equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging policy
Primer adopts a zero-tolerance approach to discrimination.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all current and prospective employees regardless of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership.