Shape Your Future with Us
General Re Corporation, a subsidiary of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., is a holding company for global reinsurance and related operations, with more than 2,000 employees worldwide. Its direct reinsurance companies conduct business as Gen Re.
Gen Re delivers reinsurance solutions to the Life/Health and Property/Casualty insurance industries. Represented in all major reinsurance markets through a network of more than 40 offices, supported by over 2,000 employees worldwide, we have earned superior financial strength ratings from each of the major rating agencies.
General Reinsurance, London Branch is offering an opportunity for a Junior Actuarial Analyst in our International Property and Casualty Unit.
Main Purpose of the Role
Reporting to the Head of Quantitative Underwriting Support, you will assist with pricing of reinsurance treaties.
Context of the Role
Quantitative Underwriting Support (QUS) provides pricing support to underwriters across the P&C International unit. This role sits within QUS and involves the pricing of risks in collaboration with underwriters throughout the year but especially at key reinsurance renewal dates. The role will include exposure across a broad range of lines of business.
- Pricing of individual risks in collaboration with underwriters
- Preparing and communicating results to underwriters
- Continual improvement of existing processes to enhance efficiency, accuracy, and transparency
- Assisting in developing and maintaining risk databases for internal monitoring
- Liaising with other areas of the business as required
- Developing good working relationships with the underwriters
- Ad hoc support for the wider Actuarial and Underwriting Teams as required
Qualifications & Experience
- Excellent academic background of a technical/mathematical nature
- Educated to degree level with a 2:1 or higher
- Either excellent Excel skills or experience with programming languages such as VBA, R, Python, or C++
- Ability to review, analyse, and present technical information concisely and effectively
- Good communication skills with the ability to work effectively with people from all areas of the business
- Highly motivated and hardworking, with the ability to drive tasks forward and find solutions
- Willing to sit actuarial exams
- Open to challenge, willing to pitch in, and approachable
- A PhD or stand-alone Master's in a numerate discipline would be advantageous
- Exposure to (re)insurance is not required but would be an advantage
- German, French, or Italian language skills would be beneficial
The successful candidate for this role will be a graduate with a strong academic background. They will be a problem solver who demonstrates intellectual curiosity. Experience of working in the general insurance industry is advantageous but not required. The successful candidate will have an open and positive attitude and be self-motivated to learn and develop quickly in the role.
14th February 2024
General Reinsurance, London Branch
55 Mark Lane
London, EC3R 7NE (UK)
It is the continuing policy of the Gen Re Group to afford Equal Opportunity to qualified individuals without regard to race, color, sex (including childbirth or related medical conditions), religion, national origin or citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Gen Re provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.