The candidate will join a small team responsible for delivering alpha at scale across the equity events space, including index rebalances and corporate actions. The researcher will work directly alongside an experienced semi-systematic Portfolio Manager focusing on these opportunities.
The ideal candidate will be developing quantitative event-driven strategies and will be involved in several areas of research:
Technology and Business Skills
- Research and development of new event-based signals across equities
- Improvement of existing strategies
- Systematising discretionary opportunities such as corporate actions
- Ad-hoc analytical projects
- Outstanding quantitative skills in the research lifecycle (from signal generation to portfolio construction)
- A deep understanding of statistics and an ability to apply to real world problems
- Deep expertise in the cash equities space in particular building alphas
- A minimum of 3 years' experience in a related role
- Expertise in a high-level programming language such as Python, or R
- Proficiency with NumPy/SciPy/Pandas or similar
- Experience of handling large data sets
- Expertise researching event signals is a plus
- Experience systematising discretionary opportunities would be advantageous
About Man AHL
- Strong academic record and ideally possesses a PhD in a quantitative domain e.g., Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, Economics or Physics from a top school or university
- Hands-on attitude; willing to get involved with technology and projects across the firm
- Intellectually curious with an analytical approach to problem solving
- Self-organised with the ability to effectively manage time across multiple projects and with contending business demands and priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to build and maintain a close working relationship with quantitative researchers, technologist, traders and senior business people alike
- Confident communicator: able to argue a point concisely and deal positively with conflicting views
Man AHL employs diversified quantitative techniques to offer a range of strategies which encompass traditional momentum, non-traditional momentum, multi-strategy and sector-based approaches. Man AHL's strategies are primarily alternative and seek to gain potential predictive, alpha-generating insights through rigorous analysis of large data sets.
Man AHL is a specialised engine, applying scientific rigour and advanced technology and execution to a diverse range of data in order to build systematic investment strategies, trading continuously over hundreds of global markets. The team of 150 investment professionals, including 47 researchers, is comprised of scientists, technologists and finance practitioners, driven by curiosity and intellectual honesty, and a passion for solving the complex problems presented by financial markets.
The engine leverages Man Group's unique collaboration with the University of Oxford, the Oxford-Man Institute of Quantitative Finance (OMI). The OMI conducts field-leading academic research into machine learning and data analytics, which can be applied to quantitative investing.
Founded in 1987, Man AHL's funds under management were $60.6 billion at 30 September 2022 . Further information can be found at www.man.com/ahl . Work-Life Balance and Benefits at Man
Man Group is proud to provide the best working environment possible for all of its employees, and we are committed to equality of opportunity. At Man Group we believe that a diverse workforce is a critical factor in the success of our business, and this is embedded in our culture and values. We run a number of external and internal initiatives, partnerships and programmes that help us to attract and develop talent from diverse backgrounds and encourage diversity and inclusion across our firm and industry. https://www.man.com/diversity . Man Group is also a Signatory of the Women in Finance Charter.
Man Group supports many charities, and global initiatives. We support professional training and development, and requests for flexible or part-time working. Employees are also offered two 'Mankind' days of paid leave per year as part of the Man Charitable Trust's community volunteering programme.
We offer comprehensive, firm-wide employee benefits including competitive holiday entitlements, pension/401k, life and long-term disability coverage, group sick pay, enhanced parental leave and long-service leave. Additional benefits are tailored to local markets and may include private medical coverage, discounted gym membership and wellbeing programmes.