Public Credit: Sovereign Credit Research Analyst
Position Title: Director Location:
Team: Global Sovereign Research Team
We are a company driven by a solid set of principles (see below) and purposes such as diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our working culture provides flexibility and naturally a 'hybrid' working model as standard. We want to benefit from the many positives that come by having a more diverse working culture throughout all levels of seniority and lines of business. Our workforce enjoys excellent benefits, including private healthcare, a brilliant pension, and a host of other benefits to ensure you and yours are kept safe and protected.
MetLife Success Principles
- Build Tomorrow - We change and innovate for sustained performance
- Win Together - We collaborate and empower each other to succeed
- Own It - We deliver for our customers
You'll be joining a business that is expanding, cares about the community and the environment. You will get a 9% pension as standard, increasing to 13% company max contribution (plus your 4% = a 17% pension). You can also get up to 31 days holiday, hybrid working, life assurance - employee, income protection, private medical insurance, mortgage advice, gadget cover, life assurance - partner, critical illness, travel insurance and dental cover.
MetLife, Inc ("MetLife") has helped generations of people around the world protect their families and finances. We are one of the world's leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits, and asset management to our individual and institutional customers.
MetLife Investment Management ("MIM") is the institutional asset management business of MetLife and provides public fixed income, private capital, and real estate investment solutions to institutional investors worldwide. MIM had $580 billion of total assets under management as of December 31, 2022.
The Public Fixed Income ("PFI") research and investment teams within MIM manage over $300 billion of AUM (as of end-2022) across various mandates, including Investment Grade, High Yield, Leveraged Loans and Emerging Markets. The team operates globally with bases in London, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Hong Kong and Santiago, Chile.
Director Role Value Proposition:
MetLife Investment Management is seeking to hire an experienced sovereign credit analyst to cover a portfolio of European Developed Markets (DM) and Emerging Markets (EM) sovereign and sovereign-related credits.
The successful candidate will join MIM's London-based Public Fixed Income research team as a Director, which supports the ongoing growth of the team's EMEA assets, U.S. General Account Insurance Business, assets for other MetLife Insurance Investments ("MII") companies and unaffiliated/third-party assets managed by MIM.
The Credit analyst will report into the London-based Global Sovereign Team Lead, being appointed at Director level.
Director Key Responsibilities
- Conduct fundamental sovereign credit research and relative value analysis, actively participate in group investment discussions.
- Make clear and actionable investment recommendations across all strategies, helping to manage risk.
- Generate trade ideas to Emerging Market ("EM") portfolio managers, traders and other research analysts (across various geographic regions and sectors) to manage portfolio positions.
- Provide macroeconomic forecasts and sovereign risk updates for the Global Markets Strategy Group and MII, including MetLife's local subsidiaries in EMEA.
- Active analysis of new asset classes/investment opportunities.
- Support other product groups and MIM's Sustainability Team by providing macroeconomic/sovereign input for use in their credit analysis and investment decisions.
- Conduct due diligence meetings with sovereign issuers, and attend roadshow presentations where appropriate, liaising with sell-side analysts and traders to help develop investment recommendations.
- Participate in new client prospecting and due diligence meetings. Engage with clients with regards to information needs, reporting requirements and direct access requests.
- Actively promote effective risk management with all direct reports, to ensure it is taken into account in their day-to-day activities, in accordance with ME risk policies.
Director Essential Business Experience
(MetLife will consider applicants with less than the below)
- 7+ years of sovereign credit research experience in public fixed income markets
- Solid knowledge of capital markets, public debt instruments, and bond documentation
- Strong academic track record
- Emerging Markets / High Yield and Development Markets / Investment Grade European experience
Director Essential Technical Skills:
(MetLife will consider applicants with less than the below)
- Outstanding skills in conducting in-depth sovereign credit research including relative value analysis
- Exceptional communication/presentation skills with a strong command of the English language (verbal and written skills).
- Ability to prioritise demands for time and undertake industry research with minimal direction
- Candidates should be self-motivated, well-organised and entrepreneurial, with a strong team player mindset
MetLife will assist in the funding of Professional Fees for employees where it is relevant and aligned to your position within the organisation. MetLife reserve the right to make a judgement on whether the subscription is relevant or not to your role as well as cease the payment at any time. This type of subscription will not incur "benefit in kind" tax.
At MetLife, we're leading the global transformation of an industry we've long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we're dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
At MetLife, we're leading the global transformation of an industry we've long defined. Founded in 1868, MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the world's leading financial services companies, providing insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its individual and institutional customers navigate their changing world. We have operations in more than 40 countries and hold leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with $669 billion of total assets under management as of December 31, 2021, ranked #50 on the Fortune 500 list, and honored to have been named to Fortune magazine's list of the "World's Most Admired Companies" for three consecutive years.
MetLife employees are united by purpose, guided by empathy and inspired by one another's unique backgrounds and perspective to make a difference in the lives of our customers, communities, and the world at large.
This role is a Senior Manager role and therefore is subject to the Senior Manager and Certification Regime.
All Senior Managers are required to comply with the FCA's Tier 1 Conduct Rules and Tier 2 Senior Manager Conduct Rules which are as follows:
Tier 1 - Individual Conduct Rules
- You must act with integrity
- You must act with due care, skill and diligence
- You must be open and cooperative with the FCA, the PRA and other regulators
- You must pay due regard to the interests of customers and treat them fairly
- You must observe proper standards of market conduct
Tier 2 - Senior Manager Conduct Rules
- You must take reasonable steps to ensure that the business of the firm for which you are responsible is controlled effectively
- You must take reasonable steps to ensure that the business of the firm for which you are responsible complies with the relevant requirements and standards of the regulatory system
- You must take reasonable steps to ensure that any delegation of your responsibilities is to an appropriate person and that you oversee the discharge of the delegated responsibility effectively
- You must disclose appropriately any information of which the FCA or the PRA would reasonably expect notice
MetLife is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to attracting, retaining and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is the policy of MetLife to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination on any basis protected by law.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Requisition #: 133111
We welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, ethnicities, genders, religions and sexual orientations.
We strive to find the best candidate for all positions and a diverse range of applicants ensures we widen our talent pool in order to achieve this.
Those with disabilities and neurodiverse conditions, please do let us know about your reasonable adjustments to ensure that we can best meet your needs.
MetLife UK is proud of our interests outside of our core business. Here's a few that might interest you too.