The Firm’s Global Sustainability Office (GSO) aims to drive the growth of sustainable investing through ongoing development of products and solutions, economic analysis, thought leadership and capacity building initiatives. The EMEA Sustainability Office leverages the group’s global experience and capabilities to drive regional sustainable finance strategy, coordination, innovation and execution across Europe, Middle East, and Africa.
The EMEA Sustainability Office (ESO) is seeking an ESG Data Specialist to support:
• Sourcing and delivering ESG data/analysis to meet various ESG and climate risk related regulatory requirements and projects on behalf of Morgan Stanleys EMEA legal entities
• Incubation and execution of innovative sustainable investing approaches that leverage advanced data analytics to create products and solutions for EMEA clients of Morgan Stanley
• Successful candidates will have a dual passion for financial markets and climate change/sustainability issues, as well as demonstrated expertise in analytics (including knowledge of leading-edge quantitative approaches, data sources, and analytical tools, etc.)
• Additionally, successful candidates will be well-organized and detail oriented, and will work well in team environments.
About Morgan Stanley
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence, and strong team ethic. We can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
What will you be doing?
• Conduct quantitative analysis on topics related to sustainable investing using a range of statistical and econometric methods.
• Collaborate with the Sustainable Insights Lab and GSO Technology teams on the development of analysis and quant-based solutions and digital applications for the Firms clients.
• Help to integrate ESG data and analysis into regulatory reporting processes and deliverables for EMEA legal entities.
• Assist in ESG data vendor due diligence for EMEA based providers.
• Stay well-informed about the data implications from latest sustainability-related regulations, market trends and academic research.
• Summarize outputs appropriately for internal and executive audiences, and a wide range of clients.
• Contribute data analysis to the Institute for Sustainable Investing’s thought leadership pieces.
What we’re looking for:
• Undergraduate or Master’s degree in Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Finance, Computer Science, Engineering or a similarly quantitative field.
• A strong interest and background in applying quantitative methods to sustainability topics in a financial setting, such as an equity or fixed-income trading, research, ESG/financial data provider or risk management operation.
• 6-10 years of work experience. Recent quantitative academic qualification can substitute for experience.
• Experience with one or more statistical programming languages (Python and/or R are preferred).
• Familiarity with financial market data sources (Bloomberg, Morningstar, Factset, Datastream) and environmental, social and governance (ESG) data frameworks and ratings approaches
• Familiarity with ESG data providers and data required to comply with evolving ESG regulations across EU and UK.
• Strong and efficient research capabilities, with ability to assess and analyze a wide range of financial and alternative data sources.
• Comfort juggling multiple priorities; strong organizational and time management skills
• Ability to work effectively as a member of a team or independently
• Persistence, tenacity and drive for result
Exposure to one or more of the following areas is a plus:
• Applications of various climate scenarios in risk management and investment/financial services
• AI/NLP driven news and sentiment data sources or models
• Non-parametric statistical techniques
• Factor-based models, asset pricing, and portfolio optimization
• Fundamentals of financial analysis and corporate valuation
• Geospatial analysis tools and datasets