As one of the world's largest networks of audit, tax and consulting firms, RSM delivers big ideas and premium service to help middle-market businesses thrive. We are a fast-growing firm with big ambitions -- we have a clear goal to become the premium adviser to the middle market, globally. This vision touches everything we do, motivating and inspiring us to become better every day. If you are looking for a firm where you can build a future and make an impact, then RSM is the place for you.About the department
RSM’s People Advisory Services help organisations enact their people and talent strategies as well as manage their people challenges using a multi-disciplinary approach in the UK and globally. The team combines RSM’s experts across employment tax, employment legal, payroll, HR, equity reward and global mobility. This alliance of specialists brings clients a unified and seamless service and allows you to be part of a collaborative and cohesive service line striving for excellence, innovation and common goals.
People and Pay (PAP) is the HR and payroll division of People Advisory Services, delivering cutting-edge and premium payroll software and solutions to an exceptional range of clients. These span from small entrepreneurial enterprises to large corporations, inclusive of top-name brands across industries such as retail, manufacturing, financial services and the public sector to name but a few.About the role
As a Payroll Manager, you will directly manage 2-3 Team Leaders and indirectly manage a team of 10-12 payroll professionals. You will report to the Associate Director for your office and your will take responsibility for the operation and profitability of your team’s client portfolios. You will offer an escalation point for technical and commercial issues encountered by your teams and ensure the accurate and timely HR, Payroll and Pension Administration services for various clients in accordance with statutory regulations.
A key feature of the role will be to lead and effectively manage your teams to ensure our clients receive a quality service in all respects. Another feature of the role will be to contribute to the growth of the PAP business, and you will work closely with internal Partners and our Business Development team to win work from existing and new clients.
This is a pivotal role, with the opportunity to make a positive contribution towards the overall future development and success of the payroll teams and office. Continuingly adapting to changing landscapes and with a brilliant infrastructure of specialists, training, and technology, you will be at the forefront of payroll, becoming a key figure within a group of true experts and consultants, as well as developing more junior members to reach this point.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a growing team at an exciting part of the journey with excellent hybrid working (generally 2 days in the office). The variety of projects will challenge you every day, helping you expand your capabilities and grow professionally. You’ll have plenty of opportunity to broaden your horizons and discover a culture that nurtures individuality and celebrates fresh thinking!Responsibilities:
About the ideal candidate
- Managing 2-3 teams of payroll professionals, ensuring accurate and timely payroll end-to-end production for various clients in accordance with statutory regulations.
- Ensuring payroll deadlines and service requirements are met for all clients within your team’s portfolio.
- Ensuring the team’s compliance with internal policies and procedures.
- Monitoring team’s KPIs and profitability.
- Keeping your knowledge of statutory and legislative regulations, including workplace pensions, up to date.
- Promoting client care and cascading this to the wider team.
- Providing guidance and support to all team members and other teams/offices as required.
- Following internal BACS procedures and client payment requirements.
- Utilising RSM financial systems to review and monitor client recoveries and team’s utilisation.
- Ensuring accurate and timely bills are raised for your clients and debt management procedures are followed.
- Reviewing team performance, setting clear objectives and identify development needs for your team.
- Providing Key Account Management to your larger clients and carry out regular service review meetings.
- Building strong relationships with internal Partners and Business Development team to win new work from existing and new clients.
The ideal applicant will come from a payroll background and have a strong understanding of payroll calculations, deadlines, UK legislation and requirements, including workplace pensions and RTI. You will have strong numerical abilities and proven experience in MS Office, in particular Excel. You will also have people supervision or management experience complimented by knowledge of month-end and year-end procedures. A payroll qualification, ability to perform manual calculations (when required) and previous experience of working in a multi-frequency and/or high-volume payroll environment are advantageous.
- Confident displaying leadership and professionalism whilst being approachable and having duty of care for direct reports.
- Ability to manage client or internal escalations to a successful resolution.
- Resilience and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent and positive interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal with individuals at all levels.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team.
- Good organisation and prioritisation skills, ensuring stringent deadlines are met.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and problem-solving abilities.
- Discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to review and improve service and processes.
Note: This job description reflects the present requirements of the role. As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and will be subject to amendment in consultation with the individual.
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, we want to create a strong sense of belonging so that people of all identities, backgrounds, and cultures feel they can bring their true self to work. Our clients come from all walks of life. We aim to achieve that same diversity of background, experience and perspective in our own teams, so that we can genuinely understand our client's needs. Diverse teams bring a broader range of ideas and insights to work. That's why we're working together to ensure our firm's principles and processes support a firm culture that embraces difference and strengthens inclusion.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.