At Mazars we have a wide range of opportunities for you to gain experience in a firm that truly cares about your aspirations. Our business is an engine for rapid and consistent career progression, and we are known for giving ambitious people early responsibility and exposure.
Are you a school leaver who wants to work with a variety of people, with a keen interest in starting your career in audit in the public sector? Are you an effective communicator who strives to deliver high quality work? If you are an analytical thinker and have a commitment to self-development and learning, this is a great opportunity for you.
About the role
At Mazars, we believe audit is essential to the economic foundations of a fair and prosperous world. Audit has been, and remains, a profession at the heart of our business. Our auditors support the public interest and, by caring about the organisations we audit and their stakeholders, we help to build sustainable businesses for the benefit of society as a whole.
If you join our Audit Service Line, you will be part of a growing team of around 1,400 people who are committed to quality, to technical excellence and to adding value to our clients daily. In the fast-moving world of business, comprehensive, and robust auditing continues to be invaluable, and our teams provide audit and assurance services which are vital to our clients' business control and credibility.
We offer a distinctive, human-centric approach that goes beyond compliance, with an integrated structure that allows us to work together as one team. We serve regional, national and international companies of all sizes and structures, and you'll have the opportunity to work on a variety of client engagements in interesting sectors.
The role of an auditor is to ensure financial statements produced by audited entities are ‘true and fair' and an accurate representation of the transactions and balances they claim to represent. In the audit service line, you can expect to be part of highly engaged teams, working together to deliver high quality audits in line with expectations and deadlines.
We are now operating a hybrid working model, so as a school leaver apprentice you will split your time between working from home, visiting the office, client sites when required or studying for your professional exams.
We are looking for candidates with a strong desire to learn and progress, and we give increasing responsibility when an individual is ready rather than at pre-determined times. However, our broad expectation of roles and responsibilities during the three-year training contract is set out below. In the Public Sector team, during the first two years you will have the opportunity to:
- work with various clients, building a strong understanding of their business
- learn how to prepare professional audit documents in line with our audit methodology using audit software and systems
- develop a thorough understanding of financial statements
- obtain relevant information from clients whilst building effective rapport with clients.
During your third and fourth year you will:
- build and develop audit skills in increasingly complex and technical areas
- be able to take ownership for sections allocated to you in an audit file
- self-review your own work, ensuring minimal review points are raised by managers
- be able to help less experienced team members.
About Public Sector
- Mazars offers a world-class audit experience with deep, specialist knowledge of the Public sector. If you join Public Sector Audit, you will be part of a brilliant team that provides distinctive audit and advisory services, and works with:
- Central government bodies;
- Local government bodies including Councils, police and fire bodies;
- NHS Trusts and Integrated Commissioning Boards;
- Interpersonal skills - the ability to build client and colleague relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility;
- Analytical skills - the ability to think critically, research and solve problems;
- Excellent business writing skills;
- Deep curiosity of business;
- Proactiveness and enthusiasm;
- Commitment to self-development ?
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity, and integrity; and
- A willingness to travel.
Strong academic performance is important; however, we understand that things don't always go to plan. Our recruitment process looks at your whole self - academic achievements as well as other experiences in which you have grown and developed. We balance your academic results alongside the aptitude assessment within our recruitment process to ensure that you will be successful in your role with us.
Learning and development
We offer a diverse range of experiences, with prestigious clients and dynamic projects across a range of sectors and geographies. We offer an excellent technical grounding and real responsibility from the start, with early exposure to clients and partners. We have a culture of coaching, feedback, mentorship and one-to-one support, so you will learn from working closely with accessible colleagues and leaders who have so much to share. Most importantly, we give our people the tools and support they need to define their own career path and realise their full potential. As part of your training, we offer the opportunity to gain a professional qualification whilst earning a competitive salary and gaining invaluable experience.
This includes funding, time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training. We will fund you towards an AAT qualification.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track. And you will be allocated a buddy who will support you to settle into the team and navigate your first year at Mazars.