Overview Bring your ideas. Make history.
BNY Mellon offers an exciting array of future-forward careers at the intersection of business, finance, and technology. We are one of the world's top asset management and banking firms that manages trillions of dollars in assets, custody and/or administration. Known as the "bank of banks" - 97% of the world's top banks work with us as we lead and serve our customers into the new era of digital.
With over 238 years of rich history and industry firsts, BNY Mellon has been built upon our proven ability to evolve, lead, and drive new ideas at every turn. Today, we're approximately 50,000 employees across 35 countries with a culture that empowers you to grow, take risks, experiment and be yourself. This is what #LifeAtBNYMellon
is all about.
We're seeking a future team member for the role of Counsel
to join our EMEA Treasury Services, Banking & Payments Legal team. The team sits together in a broader Legal team with the EMEA Corporate Trust (CT
) group, as part of the EMEA Legal Department. This role is located in London, Manchester or Edinburgh, and is hybrid.
In this role, you'll make an impact in the following ways:
- Provide excellent, timely and commercially informed legal advice and support to the Treasury Services line of business (TS) in EMEA, and where appropriate, to the global TS business and global TS Legal team focusing on payments, banking, clearing, cash management and liquidity products, services, and contractual arrangements
- Advise on UK and EU payments law and payments-related regulatory issues (e.g. PSD2, Cross-Border Payments Regulation, Funds Transfer Regulation)
- Advise project and business teams on EMEA regulatory change programmes and the impact of new laws and regulations on BNY Mellon's European entities
- Advise and partner with a dynamic and growing line of business on developing new TS Payments and Liquidity Services products, cross-border transactions, payments platforms and processes
- Document and negotiate the global banking agreement terms with TS clients, working closely with the contract management team supporting TS Payments and Liquidity Services
- Subject to capacity, negotiate and advise on transactional documentation and agreements for the CT business and advise on CT products
- Collaborate effectively with different business and functional stakeholders, deal with escalations and provide additional support to other line of business legal teams where required
- Assist on special, regional and global projects as required for BNY Mellon's Treasury Services and Corporate Trust businesses
- Be an active member of internal oversight and business acceptance committees providing legal advice and sign off
- Manage outside counsel, reviewing work for appropriateness, quality and alignment to expectations
- Manage a diverse and demanding workload and a broad portfolio of legal issues with excellent drafting, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Collaborate, seek guidance and input from colleagues throughout the organisation to ensure solutions align to global legal strategies
To be successful in this role, we're seeking the following:
- English law or common law qualified lawyer with at least 7 years PQE in banking and financial services
- In-house experience of advising on payments regulation, payments-related legal and regulatory issues, and applicable UK and EU payments regulatory frameworks (e.g. PSD2)
- UK and EU regulatory advisory and cross-border experience at a global financial services institution or premier law firm
- Experience of advising on financial institution regulatory change programmes and bank initiatives
- Familiarity with cash management and liquidity products, correspondent banking, clearing, and digital assets
- Familiarity with debt capital markets and structured finance products would be helpful
- Genuine passion for working in an exciting area of law, where technology, digitisation, innovation and payments intersect
- An enthusiastic, collaborative, commercial, and hard-working individual with a "can do" attitude, strong problem-solving skills and a desire to work in a friendly and supportive legal team
At BNY Mellon, our inclusive culture speaks for itself. Here's a few of our awards:
- Fortune World's Most Admired Companies & Top 20 for Diversity and Inclusion
- Bloomberg's Gender Equality Index (GEI)
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation, 100% score Corporate Equality Index
- Best Places to Work for Disability Inclusion , Disability: IN - 100% score
- 100 Best Workplaces for Innovators, Fast Company
- CDP's Climate Change 'A List'
BNY Mellon offers highly competitive compensation, benefits, and wellbeing programs rooted in a strong culture of excellence and our pay-for-performance philosophy. We provide access to flexible global resources and tools for your life's journey. Focus on your health, foster your personal resilience, and reach your financial goals as a valued member of our team, along with generous paid leaves that can support you and your family through moments that matter.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Underrepresented racial and ethnic groups/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments and safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.