The current energy market environment is unprecedented, with geopolitical issues leading to volatility in global energy prices. Now more than ever we need to go further and faster in pursuing the country's climate goals and reduce our reliance on fossil fuels to protect ourselves from similar future price shocks.
Such challenging times require bold action. We are looking for people to meet the challenges we face head-on, and help us deliver a greener, fairer energy system.
The Financial Advisory sub-profession is a dynamic, friendly, and inclusive team consisting of financial experts with a range of financial skills and backgrounds. It provides advice to the organisation on corporate and regulatory finance issues, has financial oversight of the retail market, as well as leading on the operation and implementation of Ofgem's RIIO price controls. It has sub-teams in Corporate Finance, Finance Policy, Strategic Planning and Investor Relations, Regulatory Reporting, Commercial Advisory, Retail Financial Monitoring and Financial Modelling.
From a base within the Finance Policy team, you will have the opportunity to work on a wide range of cross-Ofgem projects that require your skills and expertise.
Key Responsibilities of this Role
- Provide support to the high-quality advice and guidance we provide on matters relating to equity and/or debt financing and finance ability issues across the sub-sectors that Ofgem regulates.
- Contribute and support development of financial policy within the regulatory frameworks.
- Provide support to nascent sectors such as New Nuclear, Carbon Capture and Storage and Hydrogen.
- Engage with internal stakeholders on matters related to financial advisory policy and support engage with external stakeholders. External stakeholders include, but are not limited to, HM Government, sector regulators, UK Regulators Network, regulated companies, investors and credit rating agencies.
- Prepare high quality documentation of all analysis and decisions.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across Regulatory Finance to support the team's contribution to the overall Ofgem work plan.
Have or working towards a recognised finance qualification eg CCAB,CFA, MSc Finance or have relevant finance or commercial experience. LEAD
Experience in financial analysis gained in regulatory, banking or investment-focused roles
Ability to process and communicate complex financial information and data to varied audiences
Ability to work collaboratively with a range of professions and stakeholders..Behaviours
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Working Together
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Please see Candidate Pack for details.
Alongside your salary of £30,950, OFGEM contributes £8,356 towards you being a member of the Civil Service Defined Benefit Pension scheme. Find out what benefits a Civil Service Pension provides.
Ofgem can offer you a comprehensive and competitive benefits package which includes; 30 days annual leave after 2 years; Excellent training and development opportunities; The opportunity to join the generous Civil Service pension which also includes a valuable range of benefits; Hybrid working (currently 1 day a week in the office but is in review), flexible working hours and family friendly policies. Plus lots of other benefits including clean and bright offices based centrally, engaged networks and teams and an opportunity to contribute to our ambitious and important targets of establishing a Net Zero energy system by 2050. This exciting blend of professional challenge and personal reward identifies career opportunities at Ofgem as something to get excited about.
Things you need to know Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles (opens in a new window) , and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
When you press the 'Apply now' button, you will be asked to complete personal details (not seen by the sift panel), your career history and qualifications.
You will then be asked to answer 3 Technical Questions evidencing how you meet the essential and desirable skills and capabilities listed in the role profile. Please ensure you demonstrate clearly, within these answers how you meet each of the essential and desirable skills and capabilities.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.Security
Successful candidates must undergo a criminal record check.
People working with government assets must complete baseline personnel security standard (opens in new window) checks.Nationality requirements
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and family members of those nationalities with settled or pre-settled status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS) (opens in a new window)
- nationals of the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and family members of those nationalities who have made a valid application for settled or pre-settled status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- individuals with limited leave to remain or indefinite leave to remain who were eligible to apply for EUSS on or before 31 December 2020
- Turkish nationals, and certain family members of Turkish nationals, who have accrued the right to work in the Civil Service
Further information on nationality requirements (opens in a new window) Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code (opens in a new window) sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles (opens in a new window) .
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
The Civil Service also offers a Redeployment Interview Scheme to civil servants who are at risk of redundancy, and who meet the minimum requirements for the advertised vacancy.