Indirect Tax Manager
Reading (with occasional travel to London) - Hybrid home working.
Potential for part time.
We are one of the UK’s leading independent hospital groups and the largest in terms of revenue. From our 39 hospitals and 33 clinics, medical centres and consulting rooms across England, Wales, and Scotland, we provide diagnostics, inpatient, day case and outpatient care in areas including orthopaedics, gynaecology, cardiology, neurology, oncology, and general surgery. We also operate a network of private GPs and provide occupational health services to over 700 corporate clients. We are the principal independent provider by volume of knee and hip operations in the United Kingdom.
The group was founded with the acquisition and re-branding of 25 Bupa hospitals in 2. Since then, Spire Healthcare has made significant capital investments in its estate and continues to deliver successful and award-winning clinical outcomes and high levels of patient satisfaction. Spire is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 250. We were the first private hospital provider to publish outcomes data on our website and we have received awards for our clinical quality and high levels of patient satisfaction.
Spire Healthcare is committed to the highest quality of patient care. Working in partnership with over 8,760 experienced consultants, we delivered tailored, personalised care to approximately 926,500 inpatients, outpatients, and day case patients in 2022.
Patients, consultants, and general practitioners trust Spire Healthcare to deliver the high-quality care they expect from a leading private healthcare provider. For us, its more than just treating patients, its about looking after people.
Were looking to appoint someone to manage and enable Spire Healthcare to meet its various statutory and regulatory obligations and to promote best practice with respect to indirect tax, ensuring compliance with latest legislation and best practice.. Key
- Delivery and ownership of the VAT compliance process
- Driving process improvement from a VAT compliance perspective, including continued improvement to MtD process
- Responsible for ensuring the correct tax treatment in SAP
- Ownership of the indirect tax balance sheet accounts and preparation of balance sheet reconciliations
- Go-to person for indirect tax queries from the hospitals and other central functions
- Assistance in the review and integration of acquisitions
- Key partner for IR35 managing the BAU process and the annual audit and compliance reviews (shared responsibility)
- Review the preparation of PAYE compliance (e.g. PSA, P11D, and Form 42) (shared responsibility)
- Ownership of tax strategy, SAO and CCO (shared responsibility)
- Tax technical research and drafting responses to ad hoc enquiries from the business covering indirect taxes
- Responsible for the proactive education of the Group for relevant indirect tax changes and their impact
- Qualified ACA / ACCA / CTA with strong background in VAT compliance and process improvement
- Experience in an indirect tax-based role in-house (preferred)
- Strong skills in SAP highly desirable
- Good indirect tax technical skills, with a solid background in compliance.
- Microsoft Excel skills to a good standard (e.g. competent in pivot tables, vlookup, “IF” formulae etc).
- Previous experience using AlphaVAT is desirable.
- Naturally inquisitive, challenges in positive manner and has a track record of delivering change through a collaborative approach.
- Ability to work through continuous improvement of processes
- Proactive and enthusiastic approach to their work with the ability to work to deadlines with an attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to form strong relationships with key stakeholders, including HMRC and external advisors, as well as the ability to articulate complex tax issues to non-tax professionals.
- An ability to and desire to keep up to date with changes in the tax arena and to communicate and educate across a variety of stakeholders.
- Ability to work well in a team where co-operation is crucial.
We offer employed colleagues a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package which includes but is not limited to:
- 35 days annual leave inclusive of bank holidays
- Employer and employee contributory pension with flexible retirement options
- ‘Spire for you’ reward platform - discount and cashback for over 1000 retailers
- Free wellness screening
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
Spire Healthcare is committed to creating an environment that will attract, retain, and motivate its people. We are an equal opportunities employer, committed to the health and wellbeing of all our colleagues and consultants.
We firmly believe that it is our people that make the business successful, and everyone should have the opportunity to work in a motivated team, free from discrimination on any grounds. We, therefore, are keen to receive and review applications from all candidates of under-represented groups who feel they offer the requisite skills.
For us, its more than just treating patients; its about looking after people.