In this role you will be responsible for the execution of all facets of the firm's operation risk framework. You will support 1LOD business management ownership of risks and controls, ensuring that all key risks within business activities and operations are identified, mitigated, and monitored by an appropriate control environment that is commensurate with risk appetite.
You will liaise with the 2LOD Risk function and BNY Mellon Risk functions, as well as assist in the implementation of all new business-related risk initiatives.
- Oversee and undertake First Line risk assessments, monitor the adequacy and effectiveness of the control environment and monitor and challenge business activities to improve Walter Scott's compliance with the Corporate Operational Risk Management Framework.
- Oversee and assist in the first line's maintenance of Risk Control and Self-Assessment and associated processes, including control testing and management of gaps and action plans.
- Oversee the First Line Trigger Event management and Key Risk Indicator (KRI) management.
- Oversee Operational Risk Event reporting and remediation processes including leading lessons learned meetings and control reviews.
- Participates in First line scenario analysis and development as requested.
- Undertake and assist with Financial Crime and Surveillance Risk assessments.
- Participate in the Walter Scott ICARA process, including acting as Secretary for the Walter Scott ICARA Working Group.
- Develop risk and stress scenarios as necessary.
- Provide constructive challenge to the business in respect of risks.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with the BNY Mellon Risk. Management and Compliance teams and members of the Walter Scott R&C team.
- To assist in developing and promoting a culture of risk and compliance within the first line of the firm.
- To provide advice and guidance to the First Line of the business in respect of existing and new risk requirements impacting the activities of the firm.
- Assist in the implementation of any new First Line risk initiatives.
- Provide risk input to business projects as required.
- A proven commitment to risk management.
- Integrity and ability to exercise discretion in dealing with confidential or sensitive information.
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, use initiative, problem solve and proceed without supervision.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships at all levels
Skills & Experience
- 2+ years relevant experience in financial services is desirable although not essential.
- If not already held, the successful applicant will be required to obtain dedicated Risk Qualifications.
- A good working knowledge of Excel, PowerPoint and Word is essential.
- Excellent numerical skills.
- Understanding of business communications.
- Understanding of office procedures and methods.
The role is based in our offices in Charlotte Square, Edinburgh where we work within a hybrid working system. All new joiners are expected to be office based until fully trained.
Established in 1983, Walter Scott is an investment management business built to deliver long-term success. We think of growth in decades and consider impact for generations, ignoring the volatility of the moment and the results of the day.
Our portfolio management philosophy is tried and tested: we focus solely on equity investments, holding stock only in high-quality, market-leading businesses that can generate sustainable growth for our clients. By keeping our strategy straightforward, we can go deeper in our research and further for our clients.
It's an approach that begins and ends with doing the right thing. For the institutional clients we serve around the world - protecting and enhancing their assets. For our community - supporting causes with tangible outcomes for people in Edinburgh, and beyond. And for the 180 employees who make it all possible - fostering a close-knit culture, nurturing personal growth and offering truly rewarding careers.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
Our ambition is to build the best global team - one that is representative and inclusive of the diverse talent, clients and communities we work with and serve - and to empower our team to do their best work. We support wellbeing and a balanced life, and offer a range of family-friendly, inclusive employment policies and employee forums.