Payables & Receivables Officer
Hybrid home working / Didsbury / Manchester
Full Time /Permanent / 35 hours per week
Southway Housing Trust is a community-based housing association committed to providing high quality services to the people and neighbourhoods that we work in. Southway Housing Trust is a 'not-for-profit' landlord, based in Didsbury, managing, and improving approximately 6,000 homes in South Manchester and is halfway through a programme of creating 1,600 new homes.
An exciting opportunity has arisen in the Finance team for a Payables & Receivables Officer to support the delivery of the Southway Group's core accounting operations including transaction processing, maintenance of payables and receivables ledgers, inter-company billings, management of funds held on behalf of other organisations and resolution of queries with budget holders.
You will also have:
- accounts and general ledger skills.
- good verbal communication skills, able to manage relations with internal customers effectively. - excel skills, with a knowledge of a range of functions and their application.
Your main responsibilities would include:
* Log and process invoices and credit notes, entering correct VAT coding.
* Match invoices to purchase orders approved in line with financial regulations.
* Support the preparation of weekly BACS payment through the online banking system.
* Prepare cash book journals and check differences in bank statement entries.
* Liaise with budget holders regarding outstanding payments and purchase order queries.
* Interface repairs materials purchases to finance system, investigate and resolve issues.
* Process sundry payments and rent refund requests.
* Ensure effective control over payments taken by direct debit.
* Prepare credit card statement journals from receipt logs provided by card holders.
* Reconcile supplier statements to the purchase ledger on a monthly basis.
* Closedown the Accounts Payables ledger at month end, resolve unprocessed batches.
* Prepare schedules of unapproved invoices, distribute these to budget holders and record explanations for items which remain unpaid.
* Investigate and resolve system issues which impact on the Payables function.
* Suggest changes or improvements to increase accuracy and efficiency.
* Perform credit checks and ensure all accounts operate within their credit limits.
* Raise sundry invoices to customers in an accurate and timely manner.
* Allocate receipts to specific receivables invoices.
* Post journal entries before ledger close down.
* Reconcile receivables accounts on a timely basis, following up unidentified cash receipts.
* Reconcile receivables transactions on the bank statement daily.
* Produce regular updated ageing receivables report.
* Process inter-company billings, via equivalent invoices in subsidiary companies, and assist in the reconciliation of these transactions.
* Administer funds held by Southway on behalf of other organisations, distribute statements and undertake related accounting entries.
* Post rental receipt transactions and related bank entries.
* Carry out administrative duties including filing, review of incoming post to the Finance Team and electronic communication to the general Finance email account.
* Undertake any other duties consistent with the grading of the post.
At least 2 years' experience in a general finance operation.
1. Accounts and general ledger skills, able to undertake routine accountancy work with the minimum of supervision.
2. Effective written and verbal communication skills, able to respond appropriately to enquiries from colleagues, suppliers, and tenants.
3. Good excel skills, with a knowledge of a range of functions and their application.
4. The ability to plan and organise work, managing competing pressures to ensure deadlines are met.
5. Professional qualification.
Closing Date: 28 February 2024
Interview Date: w/c 5 March 2024
For an informal discussion about this role please contact Abeer Omer Financial Services Team Leader .
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from suitably skilled people from all sectors of the community.
All applicants who have a disability or are ex armed forces that meet the minimum essential criteria for the post will be invited to interview. If you have a disability or are ex armed forces, please tell us about this on your application form and please let us know about any special arrangements you would like us to make if you are invited in for an interview.