As one of the world's largest networks of audit, tax and consulting firms, RSM delivers big ideas and premium service to help middle-market businesses thrive. We are a fast-growing firm with big ambitions -- we have a clear goal to become the premium adviser to the middle market, globally. This vision touches everything we do, motivating and inspiring us to become better every day. If you are looking for a firm where you can build a future and make an impact, then RSM is the place for you.About the department
When you become part of our Tax team, you’ll discover a culture celebrating individuality, fresh thinking, flexibility and collaboration, whilst not only embracing change but impacting it. We’re simply not a one-size-fits-all firm and work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of RSM and our clients. As Ali Sapsford (our Head of Tax) states, “ personality and fun are as big a part of our culture as is our passion for delivering a premium service to our clients... That sense of team is what attracts clients and staff alike to RSM, and it’s one of the things I love about RSM!”
Our National Corporate Tax Service Line works with clients across a broad range of business types and sectors, from owner-managed businesses and middle market organisations to large multinational groups. We manage their tax affairs on the compliance side whilst also acting as expert advisors when planning matters arise. The latter includes, but is not exclusive to, due diligence, transactions and restructuring, as well as innovation reliefs.
Corporate Tax Manager:
“The best thing about RSM is the culture and the people. I have felt so well supported since joining. In a short space of time I have progressed within the firm and have been regularly recognised for my contributions. Everyone is seen as an individual, not a number. You can choose your own pathway with RSM, and the senior people in the firm are genuinely invested in making it an excellent place to spend your career”. About the role
As a result of sustained success and continued growth, we are investing in the Corporate Tax Team in the North West, where you will collaboratively work within RSM’s national and international network of tax professionals.
The purpose of the role is to manage a diverse portfolio of OMBs and multi-national corporate clients with complex tax affairs, ensuring both excellent client service and identification of further work opportunities. The role will involve managing the delivery of compliance whilst working on a variety of advisory projects and technical assignments. In addition, as a Corporate Tax Manager you will play an active role in business development opportunities, proposals and networking events, making a significant contribution towards the overall future development and success of the office and firm.Responsibilities:
About the ideal candidate
- Managing relationships and acting as the main point of contact for clients.
- Liaising with the client throughout the year, practising the principles of excellent client service at all times.
- Ensuring the clients’ tax affairs comply with statutory requirements and managing compliance work efficiently.
- Identifying and advising on tax planning opportunities and undertaking specialist technical assignments as required.
- Managing assignments in accordance with the firm’s standard procedures and confirming arrangements with the client, including likely costs, billing arrangements and ensuring the work meets targeted recovery.
- Researching and supporting the preparation of proposals for new work and taking part in formal presentations to prospective clients.
- Being actively involved in business development activities and client seminars, with effective follow up.
- Ensuring appropriate liaison takes place with all other departments and all potential client needs are identified and serviced accordingly.
- Developing a detailed knowledge of the firm’s specialist services and undertaking special work in response to client needs where appropriate.
- Maintaining an advanced level of technical knowledge through appropriate reading and courses and fulfilling professional bodies’ CPD requirements.
- Acting as a line manager for staff, including taking an active role in their development including “on the job” training where necessary and appraisals.
- Briefing junior staff on clients and pre-assignment instructions, as well as supervising and controlling the completion of work.
- Attending staff meetings and training as required.
- Maintaining an awareness and observation of Health and Safety issues within the Firm and report any concerns to the Health and Safety Representative.
- Carrying out any other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the job, the title of the role and its grading, as requested by the line manager, Head of Department or any Partner.
You will have solid corporate tax experience and effective team leadership skills, with an interest in and/or aptitude for business development. Opportunities for progression are open for the right candidate with excellent support for training and development needs.
- CTA / ATII qualified or equivalent, ideally along with an accounting qualification such as ACA or ACCA.
- International tax experience will enhance an application.
- Proven experience in client handling and project management.
- Proven tax experience in producing high quality work within budget.
- Tax experience from a practice background is essential.
Note: This job description reflects the present requirements of the role. As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and will be subject to amendment in consultation with the individual.About the Service Line Head
James Morris, Corporate Tax Partner: “I joined RSM in 2014 as a Tax Director. From the guidance and training I received in my own career development to the huge opportunities to help others in their development, I could not ask for a more supportive place to work. The people work as a team and towards a common goal. RSM is an exciting place to work too; the work is challenging and interesting, and the ability to shape the firm is there for everyone. I am proud to lead RSM’s Corporate Tax Practice and to support the RSM team as it continues to grow. I’ve personally benefitted from the opportunities at RSM and look forward to supporting others as they also build their careers in our business.”
Diversity and Inclusion at RSM
At RSM, we want to create a strong sense of belonging so that people of all identities, backgrounds, and cultures feel they can bring their true self to work. Our clients come from all walks of life. We aim to achieve that same diversity of background, experience and perspective in our own teams, so that we can genuinely understand our client's needs. Diverse teams bring a broader range of ideas and insights to work. That's why we're working together to ensure our firm's principles and processes support a firm culture that embraces difference and strengthens inclusion.
At RSM we work hard to create an environment where our people can make a difference - to themselves, their career, their teams, and to the success of our firm and clients. We support all our people to work flexibly, to manage their family and other responsibilities alongside their work commitments; we believe this is key to achieving an inspiring and fulfilling working environment.