Assistant Financial Accountant Salary £27,000 to 30,000 DOE FT 35 hours per week Ashford Hybrid
At Saga, we are looking for an Assistant Financial Controller to join our Insurance Finance team.
Reporting to the Financial Controller, as well as having a close link with the Financial Reporting Lead you will have responsibility for the accuracy of the general ledger postings and the preparation of monthly balance sheet account reconciliations.
You will be coordinating with colleagues in the Record 2 Reporting team and the AR team so this is an excellent opportunity to use both your interpersonal skills as well as your technical knowledge.
Whilst a large proportion of your work will focus around month end there will be time for you to focus on ad hoc projects and continuous improvement works with the aim of improving efficiencies within the team.
Collaboration is important to us at Saga, and our Insurance Finance team typically come together once a week at our hub in Ashford, Kent. Package Description
Everyday our colleagues deliver exceptional experiences to our customers. We believe exceptional work deserves even more exceptional rewards, that's why we have put together an amazing benefits package for all colleagues.
We offer total flexibility over where you work you choose a place that you feel most comfortable and productive, either from home or in one of our hubs in London, Ashford or Sandwich. BENEFITS AVAILABLE TO ALL COLLEAGUES:
- Our working week is 35 hours per week, these can be worked flexibly to suit your working style
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Option to purchase additional leave up to 5 extra days
- Pension scheme matched up to 10%
- Life assurance policy on joining us
- Wellbeing programme
- Colleague discounts including family discounts on cruises and holidays
- Range of reductions and offers from leading retailers, travel groups and entertainment companies
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Grandparents leave
- Company performance related annual bonus - Up to 5%
- Income protection
- Access to Saga Academy, our bespoke learning platform
As the Assistant Financial Accountant in Insurance, you will be responsible for the month end close including all aspects of general ledger accounting and reporting.
You will be accountable for the following areas:
The Ideal Candidate
- Monthly production of key balance analysis across different insurance entities
- External reporting including year-end/ interim audits, regulatory returns and compliance
- Development of the month end close process, striving for process efficiencies
- Responsibility for the maintenance of accounting records and associated processes
- Being the primary point of contact with Saga Services insurers to coordinate the response to bordereaux queries
- Supporting the reviewing and maintaining of an effective control environment
- Development of systems and process to improve the production efficiency of those accounts
- Maintaining good relationships with internal stakeholders
Our ideal Assistant Financial Accountant would come from a strong academic background, ideally with a degree from a numerate discipline. While having experience within the insurance industry would be advantageous, it isn’t essential.
We are delighted to be able to offer study support for the successful applicant, therefore a strong mathematical education is essential
Other skills and experience required include:
- Either already studying toward, or intending to start studying toward becoming ACA, ACCA or CIMA qualified
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a range of colleagues at varying levels
- Able to quickly establish credibility, winning the respect and co-operation of colleagues
- High integrity and objectivity, capable of selling ideas and implementing change
- Analytically strong with the ability to challenge and interrogate, facilitating the ability to identify anomalies or inconsistencies and pursue these through to a resolution
- Inquisitive, and strong desire to understand the “why” behind processes to perform them better and identify opportunities
About The Company
- Able to work independently without constant oversight
- Relish the challenge of working to tight deadlines and during periods of pressure
Over the past 70 years we have become the UK's specialist provider of products and services to people aged over 50 in the UK. The Saga brand has become one of the most recognised and trusted brands amongst UK consumers in this demographic, recognised for its high quality products and exceptional standards of service. These include cruises and holidays, insurance, personal finance and the Saga Magazine.
At Saga we are committed to treating all employees fairly and to offering equal opportunities in all aspects of employment and advancement. We value diversity not just because it is the right thing to do, but because diverse teams perform better.
Fair consideration is given to applications from all applicants, including those with disabilities and those over who are over 50 as we are champions of age inclusivity. We are an official Disability Confident Committed employer and ensure that our recruitment process is inclusive and accessible and we will make reasonable adjustments as required. For more information on our DEI policies please visit our Saga Careers page. Saga does not accept agency CVs unless specifically engaged on the role by the Talent Acquisition Team. Please do not forward CVs to our recruiters, employees or any other company location. Saga will not be responsible for any fees related to CVs received in this unsolicited manner.