Overview Bring your ideas. Make history.
BNY Mellon offers an exciting array of future-forward careers at the intersection of business, finance, and technology. We are one of the world's top asset management and banking firms that manages trillions of dollars in assets, custody and/or administration. Known as the "bank of banks" - 97% of the world's top banks work with us as we lead and serve our customers into the new era of digital.
With over 239 years of rich history and industry firsts, BNY Mellon has been built upon our proven ability to evolve, lead, and drive new ideas at every turn. Today, we're approximately 50,000 employees across 35 countries with a culture that empowers you to grow, take risks, experiment and be yourself. This is what #LifeAtBNYMellon
is all about.
We're seeking a future team member for the role of Paralegal - Investment Management to join our Legal team. This role is located in London and is hybrid.
This role is part of the BNY Mellon Investment Management Legal Team, which consists of 7 lawyers and 1 paralegal in the UK, 6 lawyers and 2 paralegals in the US, 1 lawyer in Brazil and 1 administrative assistant and forms part of the broader BNY Mellon legal department. The role will primarily support the lawyers in the Team with their day-to-day work and may also involve contact with counterparties, outside counsel, service providers and internal business lines. The individual will gain direct experience working closely with the lawyers in the Team on complex matters.
Based on performance, the possibility exists for the role to transition to a period of Qualifying Work Experience (QWE) in future for individuals seeking to qualify as a solicitor under the Solicitors Qualifying Exam route (SQE). As part of any QWE, the individual will have an opportunity to gain experience and responsibility working with lawyers supporting different parts of the BNY Mellon investment management business including financial regulation, derivatives and investment funds.
The successful applicant will also be encouraged to take the CFA UK Level 4 Certificate in Investment Management (IMC) during their first year. The IMC is an entry-level qualification into the UK investment profession and provides a foundation into the core areas of the investment management business. BNY Mellon would cover the cost of the IMC and related training for it.
In this role, you'll make an impact in the following ways:
- Performing legal research tasks
- Assisting in the update and maintenance of contract templates
- Assisting in compiling information in response to information requests and preparing reports
- Support for outside law firm engagements
- Attending meetings with internal clients
To be successful in this role, we're seeking the following:
- We would be interested to hear from graduates who are currently completing or have already completed their Solicitors Qualifying Examinations.
- You will be comfortable working in a modern, fast-paced environment where you are given a level of autonomy to do your work.
- Successful candidates will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- An appropriate professional attitude (personable, well prepared, flexible and enthusiastic)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to express complex ideas clearly and concisely, and the ability to structure a precise and coherent argument
- Ability to balance knowledge of law against commercial requirements
- Excellent research and presentation skills
- Meticulous attention to detail, and an analytical mind
- Initiative and the ability to act independently
- Ability to manage multi-tasks
At BNY Mellon, our inclusive culture speaks for itself. Here's a few of our awards:
- Fortune World's Most Admired Companies & Top 20 for Diversity and Inclusion
- Bloomberg's Gender Equality Index (GEI)
- Human Rights Campaign Foundation, 100% score Corporate Equality Index
- Best Places to Work for Disability Inclusion , Disability: IN - 100% score
- 100 Best Workplaces for Innovators, Fast Company
- CDP's Climate Change 'A List'
- Forbes Blockchain 50
BNY Mellon offers highly competitive compensation, benefits, and wellbeing programs rooted in a strong culture of excellence and our pay-for-performance philosophy. We provide access to flexible global resources and tools for your life's journey. Focus on your health, foster your personal resilience, and reach your financial goals as a valued member of our team, along with generous paid leaves that can support you and your family through moments that matter.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Underrepresented racial and ethnic groups/Females/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
For over 230 years, the people of BNY Mellon have been at the forefront of finance, expanding the financial markets while supporting investors throughout the investment lifecycle. BNY Mellon can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments and safeguards nearly one-fifth of the world's financial assets. BNY Mellon remains one of the safest, most trusted and admired companies. Every day our employees make their mark by helping clients better manage and service their financial assets around the world. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, clients count on the people of BNY Mellon across time zones and in 35 countries and more than 100 markets. It's the collective ambition, innovative thinking and exceptionally focused client service paired with a commitment to doing what is right that continues to set us apart. Make your mark: bnymellon.com/careers.